955i Speed Triple Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Smudge, Feb 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smudge

Smudge New Member

Nov 11, 2015
    manchester
    Evening all,

My 2004 955i Speedy Triple is having starting problems.

Flick the ignition on hear fuel pump prime, hit the starterator button, she cranks over and.... nowt!

New battery fitted in September 16ah Mottobatt (yellow one) only been ridden once since then but has been on a trickle charger all winter.

Battery seems to be fully charged at 13v, drops to 12.6v when ignition turned on and then 11.2v during cranking.

Does this seen like a faulty battery? Will 11.2v be enough to fire it? Seems to crank reasonably fast. Lights are really dimming during cranking (virtually go out all together).

Read the fault codes and the only code showing was P1501 which was a short or open circuit which I was aware of and never stopped bike running before (speedo would work intermittently).

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    It does sound like the battery but having a new one recently kind of negates that a bit. Still the most likely though.
    Any chance of jumping it with another bikes' battery alongside?
    Does it bump start?

3. Smudge

Smudge New Member

Nov 11, 2015
    manchester
    I'm the only person I know with a bike and I've tried bumping it but she's a big old girl and I can't really get her going fast enough. Tried 2nd and just locked the wheel.. maybe try 3rd?

4. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    What happens? the starter motors runs?
    Can be just old fuel that condensate.
    I'd try again. and you can use a car battery with jump leads to help.