Vintage Tiger 955i Gas Cap Issue

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by TNG, May 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TNG

TNG New Member

May 27, 2020
    USA
    Hello! So I have a 05 tiger that has unfortunately been sitting for a couple of years, and as I'm getting ready to get it up and running again I found that the gas cap is not opening. The key won't turn at all. I've found lots of people online with fixes for a stuck gas cap which primarily revolve around penetrant/lubricant and a banging on the cap with a mallet to loosen corrosion which hasn't done the job for me yet.
    I seemed to remember that the key in the gas cap doesn't go all the way in, but now I'm starting to second guess myself. Sorry for the dumb question, but can someone confirm that the key shouldn't go all the way to the shoulder?
    Thank you!

IMG_20200527_174213948.jpg

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’m pretty sure it’s the same cap as my Daytona and the key goes all the way in to the shoulder on mine.
    Are you sure it’s not a different key for it? You don’t say whether the bike’s been yours for all that time or you’ve just got it. Could be that the ignition switch has been damaged and changed at some point meaning mismatched keys.
    Welcome to the forum BTW. ;)

3. TNG

TNG New Member

May 27, 2020
    USA
    I had the bike for a couple of years before it was left to sit, so the key has worked previously. Thanks for the reply!