Vintage Tiger 955i Chain Slack

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by PhilB, Nov 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Hey,

I have recently bought a 955i, and the main thing I noticed was the massive slack on the chain, (compared to sports bikes).
    Now I have trawled the internet, and can't find a great deal of helpful stuff, other than the manual is wrong!? I would have to double check but I think it says 40-50mm.

Now sometimes I will be riding solo, with no luggage. Other times with the missus and luggage, so I want a good slack which will compensate nicely for both please?

Also it has a center stand so what would be a good slack for that?

Thanks guys!

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Phil, re chain tension the first thing to remember is to set the tension whilst the bike is on it's side stand NOT the centre stand.

So starting the process with the bike on it's side now adjust the chain tension so it measures 35mm from top to bottom, at the midpoint between the rear axle and the centre of the front sprocket.

Just for your info I've fitted a Loobman chain lube system to my 2006 Tiger 955i and for the cost (£18) I think it is just unbeatable?. Both sides of the chain lubed simultaneously, perfectly clean chain.

Have you posted any pics of your new purchase? Here's mine:

[​IMG]

3. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Thanks very much for your help!
    I will get it sorted as soon as possible as mine is over double that haha.

And have you got a picture of your auto lube? Mine has one fitted, but I turned it off as I normally prefer using Wurth dry stuff. Do you recommend I use it?
    I will get a picture for you as I don't actually know how it works and it didn't come with a manual!

And yours is very nice! Can you tell me what screen extender that is you have?
    I am around 6ft and I find anything around 70mph, I take quite a battering! If I duck a couple of inches it improves a lot. The seat is also on it's lowest setting I think.

I also thought about getting a tank cover too. Would you recommend it?

There's a piccy of mine in the newbie section 'Hello from Norfolk'

Thanks again for your above reply!

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Phil I've tried to answer your points in order:

1. Chain oilers are just great, all of them to one degree or another. I've had a Scotoiler for 15-20 years but it went when I sold my T100. Here's a link to the one I use, I particularly like it because there's no special oil required, he recommends engine oil 10-40 !!
    http://loobman.co.uk/

2. Re the screen - it's an MRA VT screen complete with trim tab and came from Germany for 105€. I used to get terrible buffeting before changing to this screen, which I found unpleasant and tiring. Now with the new screen there is asmooth air pressure but no buffeting at all up to 130-140kph (80-90mph).

3. Re tank cover - absolutely recommend them. Mine is a Bagster one which perfectly matches the paintwork. No more worries about scratching the tank and they also do a clip-on matching tank bag !!

Cheers
    Dave

5. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Thanks for the reply!
    As I say, I will let you know which one I have, and maybe you can guide me in the right direction with it!
    In regards to the oil, don't they need a certain viscosity, to stick to the chain? For example does engine oil flick off?

And I will definitely look into a screen then! I have to buy one which comes with the top trim together do I?
    There is no after market 'clip on' so to speak?

I also looked into a bagster. I think it was around £130. I also liked the idea of the bags which they sell to go with them! I have an Oxford universal one at the minute which I don't dare use in case it damages anything haha.

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Re the chain oil, all I can tell you is that 10-40 is the viscosity recommended and it appears to work just fine. Bear in mind that this is not to lube the rollers, the oil is there to : 1. protect the chain from rust & 2. to lubricate the 'O'-rings so they move easily & don't wear.

7. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Ok that's great! I'll look into it. Will be cheaper that way too, and always have some kicking around!

Also, do you know the torque setting for the rear wheel?

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Phil, it's 85n/m.

I've attached a list of torque values (for most tasks) kindly provided to me by another forum member:

Attached Files:

9. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Fantastic! Thanks.

I checked my chain oiler today. Is this the one you were talking about that you had previously?

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

10. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Phil, yes that's the one I used to have. Had it for perhaps 15 years on various bikes, but it went when I sold the Bonny. Bloody goody bit of kit, but I would turn it down to 1, no more.

Re the screen, yes that's the one I bought and I got from Ebay Germany because it was cheaper !!!

I'm about 6'1" and chunky !!!

12. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Spot on, thanks! I will double check on their website to see what they recommend using.. Hopefully engine oil again!

Ok, I will definitely get one soon then! Or maybe stick it on my Christmas list :p

13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hang on Phil, if you're referring to using the Scotoiler, the only recommendation you'll get from them is to use their own oil. Not daftly expensive but more than 10-40 and much less readily available.

I was talking about using 10-40 (as recommended by Loobman) on my newly installed Loobman oiler.

14. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Ok, well I was going to ring them to double check, and order some FS 350 while I'm there!
    Do you think it would be ok to use 10/40, or buy their recommended one? I'll probably go for theirs if that's the case, as I imagine it will be good stuff, and much cheaper in the long run that my rattle can dry lube!

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If you're using the Scottoiler, use their oil.

16. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    Got some blue on order! :)