955 Sprint Rs Turns But Wont Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by James Mcandrew, Sep 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Mcandrew

James Mcandrew New Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Wales
    Hi all
    I have posted a similar issue ages ago but not had any luck.
    I should say this is my first bike i am good with mechanics on cars and theres basically no job i wont do or havent done. But bikes are new.
    So briefly.
    Bought the bike and it was running. Was unable to get it motd at the time and then wouldn't start so was in my dads workshop for about a year. Anyway fast forward to present day. Have built my own workshop as took it to local garage and he did nothing to it for 6months .

Now i have removed tank drained old fuel.
    Changed oil and filter
    New spark plugs
    Genarally given the bike a once over.
    Gallon of new fresh fuel
    Full charge on battery
    Gone to start....... Turns over...... Wont fire
    Turns over really well i can hear the fuel pump when turning ignition on. In neutral, clutch in, stand up but still wont start.

Hate to say it but makes me almost want to just get rid and go and buy something else. But i love this bike the look and sound is what drew me to it when i bought it so really want it sorted

Hopefully someone can help

Thanks
    James

Not sure if im missing something obvious and just being a d*ck or if its something i havent even thought of.

• Like Like x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    James McAndrew
    Welcome to the family. Do try putting a cap full of fuel down the bores and spin it over. And that battery needs to be tops try jumping of your car battery briefly. Check you have spark at the plugs. Make sure you earth them all or just do one at a time earthed. Check all the usual switches side stand clutch and ignition earth. But don't give up that bike is well worth it and will give you grins per miles. Some of the more intelligent inmates will be along soon and we will have you up and running. Do also check for leaks around the inlet rubbers and the air filter is clean.
    Joe

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Try shorting the starter relay , ignition on , but don't touch the starter button ! If it starts doing this , it gives you the head's up , one of the following issues is at play , clutch , neutral or side stand switches is cutting ignition off ! Or maybe ecu voltage sensing isn't picking up correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Something similar happened to my 955i Tiger at only 4000 miles from new. Everything seemed OK - battery etc - but it wouldn't run. Turned out that the crank position sensor had failed. Took the diagnostics of a good electrical tecnician to sus that one out.

• Agree Agree x 1