Vintage Tiger 955 Soggy Bottom

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Rob Taylor, Dec 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Hi Guys
    I have just acquired an 03 Tiger 955 (with the wire wheels and odd swing arm) and I think that the shock may be on its way out.
    The last ride was like being on a North Sea ferry.

I know with the later rectangular swing arm, there is a spacer running through the bolt hole which is a pig to get out. Is that the same on the earlier ones, or is it just a bolt with a bush inside the bottom of the shock?
    I’m hoping it’s the latter as I can’t see how you would get a spacer out of the long tube that runs the whole length of the swing arm.
    I’m thinking of going with a YSS unit as a replacement as they seem to be fairly decent and reasonably priced.
    Thanks for your help in advance
    Rob

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Well, I’ve got home from a week working away, worrying that I may have to shell out on a new rear shock and I thought I’d try fiddling with the rear rebound damping adjuster, as it was that which seemed to be lacking, if only to see if it actually moved or was stuck solid.
    Joy of joys, not only was it free and moved easily, but I counted 12 clicks in from where it was set. No wonder the back end was bouncing like Zebedee on speed!
    I’ve set it a couple of clicks out for now and will try it tomorrow to see if that makes a difference, but it feels a lot more damped than it did.
    I may still end up replacing it as I’m not sure the preload isn’t still knackered, but I’ll have a look at that when I’m hooking up my Optimate tomorrow.

3. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
  4. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Thanks Flay, that’s really helpful having the exploded diagrams.
    I had a look at the preload and that was also backed so far off it was ineffective.
    I couldn’t see the markings initially and once I put a socket on and started winding it in, it stiffened it up nicely..
    Have to say it’s the first time I’ve come across a remote preload adjuster and it’s a lot better than skinning knuckles using a C spanner. That rebound damping adjuster is in a very awkward position to get to though.

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    My 1999 / 2000 sprint the rebound damping adjustment was reached through a hole in the frame, required a flat tip screw driver about 8 to 10 inches long !!
    Was located on the right hand main bracing , just an inch or so down from where it curved down from Under the Tank ...

7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Yes the Tiger one is at the bottom of the shock unit, but in a really silly place with the swing arm nearly in the way. You definitely need a long screwdriver to get at it, preferably one that contorts as well.
    The one on my TT600 was a lot easier to get at, but that had linkages so sat a bit lower.

8. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Dec 12, 2022
    UK
    Hi all,
    An update. The rear shock was not just knackered, but totally broken!
    I managed to get the bike on the centre stand on top of a 2 inch thick paving slab which got the rear wheel off the ground. This revealed that the top of the shock was broken.
    Over Christmas I stripped it all off, which was an utter nightmare, ending up taking the swingarm out and had the devils own job of getting the old shock off to fit a new YSS unit, with a heavier spring. While there I did the swing arm bearings, which was really easy in comparison.
    I’ve since got it all back together and what a difference!
    We’ve done a couple of hundred miles since I got it all finished, including re doing the seats with new covers on runs with HTOC. I’m a bit in love with the old girl, it’s a great old bike!

11FD84D2-0457-4432-A2D4-B1ECBF474543.jpeg

A028F412-620F-4929-94EA-5F9C86C2596C.jpeg