Trophy 94 Trophy Rear Suspension Preload Adjustment

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Oldyam, Aug 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Can anyone tell me if the preload adjuster on the 94 Trophy is a simple hydraulic unit, or is it part of the gas filled system ?

The reason I ask is that the rear sag is over 70 mm with the preload adjuster set on max, I know that on my B*W the preload adjuster can be refilled as it is a simple hydraulic unit which looks to be a similar setup.

Obviously if its gas filled I don't want to let the gas out.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hmmmm ... not sure:(. I always assumed it was oil filled but have no evidence to back that up either way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Thanks for that Steve can you give me some basics about the 900 in general,

Where on the temp gauge should the needle sit when up to normal running temp ?

How long should it take to get up to temp ?

I was out for a run today for about an hour riding at between 30 & 60 mph and the needle probably only moved about 3 mm from cold except when I turned around to return at the mid point of the run.

I'm suspecting that there is no thermostat fitted or its failed in the open position.

What do you think ?

4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The temp gauge on mine, when running normally, usually sits between 10 and 11 o'clock (if you see what I mean). In town it can get to 12 o'clock if there is a fair bit of stop/start traffic - level crossings, dock swing bridges (Goole is the U.K.'s premier inland port don'tcha know), traffic lights, generally slow traffic etc, particularly on a warm day. It soon drops back when under way again. Very rare that the fan kicks in, but not unknown (gauge around 2 o'clock if memory serves). The gauge itself usually shows signs of life after about a mile or so, depending on ambient temperature. Yours sounds pretty well okay to me - unless I've missed summat!.

5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Thanks for the info Steve that's at least put my mind at ease that things seem normal (ish) at least, its always a bit worrying as you get to know a different motor.

I was expecting a bit more movement on the needle, but as long as it seems normal I'm happy enough.

Are there any other quirks I should be aware of ? its been a voyage of discovery so far LOL, including 17" wheels both ends rather than the 17" & 18" I was expecting.

The motor seems a little sluggish on the pick up but that could be just me being used to the low down torque on the B*W from about 3K and not pushing the rpm as I'm used to the rev limiter cutting in at 7250.

6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Main thing with these bikes is to keep the battery well charged so that it doesn't 'kick back' when turning over slowly and ruin the starter sprag clutch.
    Give it a goodly slug of Redex or similar from time to time to keep the carbs clean.
    Should be smooth power all the way to around 9,500 rpm, with max torque at around 6,250 rpm.
    The Trident has an 18" rear wheel, while most of the others have 17".
    It will feel less torquey than the BM I would guess, but it is a smaller and slightly revvier engine.
    You'll get used to it!

7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I'm not even sure I got anywhere past 5500 :) but I'll get the hang of it and part of the first work I get to do will be the reg/rec wiring upgrade to try and keep the battery topped up.

It spins over and fires up quickly enough at present.

I'm in the process of ordering service and repair parts at the mo so I can go through it from one end to the other.

• Like Like x 1