900 Thunderbirds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Aussieamerica, Jan 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aussieamerica

Aussieamerica Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    Have been looking at a second bike to share the garage with my America, I've been researching the 900 Thunderbirds and they appear to be pretty bulletproof. I've read that the sprag clutch can be a problem though, the early bikes had an access cover to work on it while in the bike but later models mean its an engine out job. Looking for any advice, is this a common problem with the 900's and what else do I need to watch out for when looking at used bikes.
    Was also told the earlier models are the ones to go for, so what do you class in years the best model to look for.

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    The sprag issue is not just an issue with Triumphs, many other bikes have the same system too. The problem generally is just down to a weak or underperforming battery, it doesnt have the kick to turn the engine and sometimes kinda kicks back, this causes the trouble. A good strong battery, and not keeping on pressing the starter and you should be ok. Do not press it till it almost stops, that is the worst thing you can do. Think the T/Bird came out in 1995 so the easy fix for the sprag was no more, sorry it is an engine split job. Apparently you just split the engine in two after removal. I had to pay for mine to be done coz it is too big a job for me. The gears have been upgraded now and are much better, plus there is a fix some have got away with using a spring from a bearing, but this doesnt always,if ever ,work, and you still need to strip so may as well do the full job while there.
    The valves need checking at every 12000 miles for tightening up as this leads to bad starting as well as poor running. It can be done by owner but you need a special tool for the cams, otherwise it is a very expensive job for a dealer, around the £400 plus mark depending who you use ( UK price obviously).
    I believe some of the chrome parts of the T/Birds are getting rare now and the chrome does need looking after as on some it isnt the best.
    I have heard about the early ones being best too but cannot substansciate that, all I can say is the 95 -98 Tridents/Sprints seem to be the best of their kind, if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #3 t552, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    No tbirds have sprag cover.
    If you are concerned about maintainance you can always go on a Clive Wood t3 masterclass.
    Search clive wood triumph on Facebook or google.
    Ah see you are in Oz. Ok, you shold find it a reliable lump. Always keep battery 100% and it should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The triple 900 are sound, reliable engines - I had an early Trident.
    Just keep the battery charged, pull the clutch in when starting and keep the headlight switched off and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aussieamerica

Aussieamerica Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    Thanks for all the advice its most welcome, I could be over reacting about the sprag clutch. I do all my own work on my America and it will be no different if I end up with a triple as well, I might diversify my search to look at 95/98 Tridents/Sprints. Will let you know what I end up with.

6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Basically ... wot they all said!

The Trident/Sprint 900 is more powerful than the T/bird or T/bird Sport - 98bhp/69bhp/85bhp (claimed) respectively. It all depends on what you want. They also tend to be cheaper over here as the 'retro' bug bites and people seem to go for the T/bird options.

I doubt that any option will disappoint. Enjoy whatever you choose.:)