900 Sprint - Long winded!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by James Hill, Jan 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Hill

James Hill New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Norfolk, UK
    Hi folks,

During the summer, my other halfs 900 Sprint "broke" it's ignition pickup (cut out when hot, ran when cooled down).

I swapped the sensor over from mine, and all good. Since then, it has had a weird problem.

On idle, the engine will miss a beat and recover or will just cut out. The tacho needle will drop to zero and flick back up if it doesn't cut. Video here:

This is what we have done so far:

New battery, new coil and pluglead (swapped between all 3), new plugs, CDI unit swapped from mine, carbs stripped and properly cleaned, new intake rubbers. All accessible wiring plugs checked and cleaned. Wiring loom "manipulated" to check for breaks. Have ruled out the fuel tap diaphragm.

Any further ideas? Somebody has suggested alternator, with the "low speed coils" acting up. Personally I'm not so sure, but I do have a spare if needed.

Any further ideas? I'm getting grief here - We have a funeral on Wednesday, and the loan bike option is a Suzuki which she is keen to avoid!

Any advice appreciated

J

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    You tick over is set too slow. Should be just over 1000rpm - and that wasn't. And even if it was it didn't sound like it! Just turn the wick up a bit.

Oh .... and welcome to this place of madness, mystery and intrigue.

Normally we ask new arrivals for piccies. You gave us a video! It is well that you will do here!

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #3 sprintdave, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Ok maybe the tacho is telling something here, the tacho runs off coil 1 I believe. Could you try swapping again and see if the problem is the same but the tacho runs ok,if so, I would suspect bad coil.

does it start easy,if not could be valves closed up

Hey I aint no expert so would expect the other guys to come along and say, yep he could be right,or no, he is talkin like a twat. Lol
    ps I have a 900 Sprint too
    see above, the tickover already sounds faster than mine but you got no clocks to check showing.,mine is at 1200 ,too low at 1000

4. James Hill

James Hill New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Norfolk, UK
    #4 James Hill, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    IMG_20160311_153348.jpg FB_IMG_1482587207500.jpg IMG_20160311_153348.jpg View attachment 13686 IMG_20160311_153348.jpg View attachment 13686 She still fires up on the button.

Revs cleanly. Nothing different apart from this issue. Occasionally on cranking it will drop down and almost stop (like a car with the distributer set to too much advanced) giving a couple of slow wuh wuhs before picking up again and firing. I put that down to the battery, which was pretty much shagged hence the new jelly. It hasn't quite cured it - It will do that when it's hot after a 20 mile run. Both issues seemed to appear at the same time!

Hopefully the next video will show things a bit better, as soon as YouTube can actually bothered to upload it!

J View attachment 13685 View attachment 13685

5. James Hill

James Hill New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Norfolk, UK
    Here we go. Sometimes it will dip down as in the video, other times it will just cut out, like the kill switch has been pressed. Usually at a junction!

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Dont know if I missed this but did you change the plugs, one could be fouling up or the insulation breaking down?

7. James Hill

James Hill New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Norfolk, UK
    Yep, plugs were the first thing to be changed....

8. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    did you set the gap on the pickup correctly?