Thruxton 900 Air Cooled Or 1200 Thruxton R ?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Chris Wise, Jul 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    I started this on another subject (will not bore you with that ) and thought let see what the reaction is on the Thruxton forum.Well here I go just wait for the fireworks ! I have a 900 air cooled Thruxton love it to bits ,was going to swap it for the new Thruxton R but did not ,I just could not part with my air cooled Thruxton.Now I will be the first to admit that the Thruxton R is a far better bike than the 900 air cooled but does it have the character of the old 900 air cooled Thruxton.I think not.Someone summed it up brilliant me, he said the air cooled Thruxton is a modern version of a 1960 cafe racer where has the Thruxton R is completely modern bike and can live with the best of them out there ! I think my old 900 air cooled Thruxton has the character of the old 1960 cafe racers (yes I am older enough to be able to compare them having lived through the sixty). what is the opinion out there and if you have a 1200 Thruxton/ Thruxton R I would be interested to know what you think ? Also the same on the new Bonneville compared to the old air cooled bonneville ( We will not go into the Meridian Triumph ,that is another story;)

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    To me they are both character-filled classic looking bikes - but completely different in their execution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    I had a 900cc Thruxton from 2004 to 2008. I modified it extensively to try and make it "go" and ride and be reasonably comfortable.
    The mods included:
    • Uprated rear shocks (Ikons)
    • Upgraded front fork internals
    • 4 pot front calipers
    • Air injection elimination
    • Air box removal and inlet trumpets
    • Re-jetted carburettors
    • Open exhausts
    • Dart Fly screen
    • Bar risers
    • Tank rack
    In the end it wasn't bad, but it the ride was still poor and it steered like a lumbering truck. Well, not that bad, but it was slow to respond.

I now have a Thruxton R.
    It is the bike that I tried, and failed, to make. Quick, comfortable and it rides and handles as well as any modern bike out there.

I feel it makes a better job of looking like a 1960s cafe racer as well. It may be water cooled but it looks air cooled and the water radiator is no bigger than the old oil cooler.

The 900cc Thruxton vibrated, the mirrors were useless above 50 mph unless fitted with mass dampers. The 1200cc Thruxton may not vibrate like a 360 engine, but it has enough character, the bars don't vibrate and the mirrors work at any speed.

Some criticise the modern suspension and brakes. Back in the 60s bikes were modified and adapted to be light, quick and handle. If Showa USD forks, Brembo brakes and Ohlins rear shocks had been available they would have been used. So for me I see no problem using them now.

For me, the 120 Thruxton R is about as close to perfection as it is possible to get. Well done Triumph!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah but do you prefer it to your old 900??:D:p

5. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    In a word: YES!

6. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I had an 08, which I liked, ihad a w800 last year, which I liked. Ive had my thrux a year now, its fab. Due to a house sale, I was thinking about a new Norton but everything pointed towards the R.
    It's dear, mind .

7. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Theyre not half as 'dropped' or uncomfortable as they look DD ;-)

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. jenkspj

jenkspj New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Salisbury, UK
    Agreed. The original thruxton was painful, but this one may have clip on bars, but the riding position is, for this 5'8" person, very comfortable.

At more than about 40 mph the effect of the fly screen is to take away much of the wind blast, leaving enough so that upper body weight is supported, meaning that the weight on arms, hands and bars is almost gone.

9. FarkyNell

FarkyNell Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2016
    manchester
    I've got a modern 900 Thruxton and I love it to bits, it's transformed my riding and made outings much more frequent and fun. I traded a Honda Blackbird in for it which is in many ways is a superior bike but I like owning and riding the Thruxton more, it's not as quick, not as capable but it's just a pleasure to own and go out on. I haven't owned a 1200 Thruxton but again, I would imagine it is a superior bike in many ways to the 900, more power, riding modes etc but in my limited experience superior isn't always better. I will try a 1200 one day and will probably be swayed but for now I am going to continue enjoying my 900.
    Each to their own and horses for courses etc, have you made up your mind yet?

10. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex

11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex

12. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Have a new 'R'. Was worried about the bars. Went on a Europe tour in June. Just shy off 2000 miles in 5 days. The bike was great, just as comfy as my old Busa & Defoe more comfy than my MT09. Did fit cramp busters to grips. Very useful on motorways