83 Year Old In Crash At Cross Roads

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thripster, Oct 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    I think the judge is right.......do you? Even if the poor biker cops it.

IMG_20201008_104316500.jpg

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 1
  2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    #2 johne, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Its a tragedy, but yes I think the judge is right from the facts presented. I do feel sorry for the old lady, she must feel very bad about it. Before I retired I drove trains for a living. One of the unfortunate things about that job was suicidal people know trains can't swerve out of the way or stop quickly if they stand in between the tracks to end their lives. Many of my driver colleagues have been deeply traumatised by the events involving people being struck by the train they were driving, animals which got through the boundary fence and wandered onto the tracks also.

I feel sorry for the biker too and his family. There are no winners here. :pensive:

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 2
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Just a note. All we have here is a note that an "expert" was able to establish the speed of the bike from dash cam footage. I know courts have to proceed on something but that "something" is not always correct. I love to think back twenty five years or so when all the experts were telling us we were heading into an ice age.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    We all speed at some time or another. We enjoy the thrill and the power that riding a bike gives, but to be travelling at twice the speed limit (if their calculations are correct) is excessive and foolhardy. Speed limits are there for a reason and if it is 50mph it is that because of the hazards around. I feel for the bikers family. It is a tragic loss of life, but I agree with the judges findings in this case. Sad for all. :pensive:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    To me, it's not so much about the speed limit as much as how would you expect an old lady to see a tiny speck hurtling towards her at 48.88' yards a second (44 metres per second) or 135 feet per second? I mean, I blinked once and a whole marriage had passed.............

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I wonder if the prosecution also provided an " expert " witness to corroborate the alleged 100 mph.

• Like Like x 2
  7. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes i am afraid the bike ECU records the speed. I found that out on my sprint st when it was playing up badly. Jack Lilleys were able to tell me all my latest speeds and decided that the bike was ridden correctly for the first 500 miles.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Yes, I agree with all of that @littleade.

On reflection, I just didn't like the inference from the judge that the rider was wholly to blame. The only one who knows the circumstances, the speed involved before the incident and at impact wasn't able to defend himself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    #9 Thripster, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Yes, you are probably right SmilinJack.......age hasn't got anything to do with. By the time you have looked both ways, say from right, to left and back again the biker, at 100 mph is likely to have advanced 300 feet......I would struggle to pick out such a small profile at that speed in time to take corrective action. OK, she may have been at fault but if you are invisible at the legal road speed limit you'll be twice as invisible at double the limit...... don't you see? Travelling at that speed on a single track road with our volume of traffic is risky....not to mention illegal.......in other words you are unlikely to be dealt with sympathetically

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    Either the Police and/or the CPS has been incompetent and too eager to prosecute someone. As dashcam footage was available it should have been properly reviewed and expert assistance called in. Then the case should have been closed or Prosecution’s case would have been made watertight. This was a waste of everybody’s time and effort and unnecessary stress. It also calls into question the efficacy of police accident investigations and maybe Plod was too eager to get a prosecution. Ignoring good, solid evidence is not the way you determine how something happened. Lots of people need retraining here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    I didn't know that. Next, they will equip the police with a device that can read them too. If they haven't already.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    We have no idea of the exact circumstances and it's equally likely she'd have pulled out had he been going slower, and was closer. We all know this is par for the course. However, if one is going to ride at 100mph, then it's really incumbent upon the rider to not be doing that speed unless it is safe to do so, in other words if there are crossroads he should have either spotted her first and expected her to pull out, or if he did not have that level of visibility then 100mph was not a safe speed for that road on that spot. So while the lady probably pulled out in front wrongly, the rider was asking for it and would have been a statistic sooner or later. 0.02c

• Like Like x 3