Tiger 800 800 And Pillion

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by cordyk, Feb 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cordyk

cordyk New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Suffolk
    Hi guys!
    Just joined and about to purchase a 800/1200 Tiger for the first time (still going through that ‘which one’ thought process) and test riding soon hopefully!
    Now, I will be taking the Mrs/daughter as pillion on occasion and wondering if the 800 is more a solo machine for adventurous stuff and is it up to the job?
    Going from a ZRX1200R which I need to sell for funding:( so I want to get this right.
    I will be looking at second hand for around the 7/8k mark so any advice on that would also be appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. cordyk

cordyk New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Suffolk
    Thanks for swift reply @littleade !
    I’m 6ft 1 Greek Adonis with a 12 pack and Tom Cruises arse double on a Tuesday and ladies about 5’10 ! All average weight I would say,l

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I think you're test rides will probably make up your mind but in the meantime,
    I have an 2012 800 and find it fine one or two up, I don't often take my missus out on it though but when I do its got all the luggage on. Top box as its her back rest and panniers for her shoes, hand bag etc etc. she does get a numb bum after about 40 mins but thats generally because she hasnt been on the bike much to get bike fit. Obviously it will depend on what riding you are going to be doing two up but i could see the 800 possibly struggling a bit fully laden, 2 up on the mountain passes but for local lanes should be fine. The 1200 will handle all that well but will it be worth the extra cost/ weight.
    One up the 800 is fine, more than, and fun to ride.
    PS Littleade's 2 up would only just be a little more than an average one up

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cordyk

cordyk New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Suffolk
    Cheers @littleade @crispey for you honest opinion chaps, I am 6’1 and fecking an’some but the rest is rollicks haha!
    I would be looking and some long’ish touring and maybe riding Europe with the mrs so maybe the 1200 would be the way forward? Will have to look for a decent bargain for 7/8k maybe a 13/14 plate is on the cards? 800 does sound a lot of fun though...a good test ride should sort me out.
    Thanks again and what an awesome forum,looking forward to my first Triumph:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cordyk

cordyk New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Suffolk
    Just a quick question chaps as I be almost got the funds together! What year should I be looking at for a second gen 1200?? I have just over 8k to play with

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Before I bought my first Explorer I rode the 800 first. For me there was no decision to be made the 1200 was superior in every way. Yes it’s heavy and the weight seems to be high up so it can feel unwieldy at low speeds (tight turns at sub 10mph).

My first Explorer was a late Gen 1. So the earlier problems had been sorted out. My current Explorer is a late Gen 2. Far superior to the Gen 1. More comfort, better breaks, more gadgets like hill start and programmable riding modes. I would definitely suggest a Gen 2.

You may even be able to get a Tiger 1200 (Gen 3). Depending on model and mileage as it’s been out about 12 months or more now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Cordyk.
    Welcome to the Family. Now is a great time to haggle mate and do it like you are crazy like the rest of us. Don't be scared to walk away. There are plenty of bikes out there and the dealers are taking the new stock in and need to clear space for them.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. cordyk

cordyk New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Suffolk
    Cheers @joe mc donald @Rooster some great advice there!
    Is there anything obvious that would tell me its a 2nd gen like the dash, been googling like a possessed thing but really hard to find owt!! Some 16 plates have the older dash which makes me think they are late 15 plates?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Gen 1

E1D64643-1033-41C5-9E3D-49B1CA912463.jpeg

Gen 2

9D823C2F-6C04-4CA5-92A1-8F6C42DE626B.jpeg

Gen 3

B512FC3B-BC51-40E4-9B31-747174F24F76.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. cordyk

cordyk New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Suffolk
    Awesome @Rooster ! Thanks man that's perfect, much appreciated.
    Damn fine bunch of fellows i do declare:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Cordyk.
    There you go mate. Now go get that beastie and lets have a photo on here. Or maybe better the big grin on your face when you have it after you bring it home.
    Ride Free
    Joe.