79 T140E Electrical issues

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gaffer, Aug 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gaffer

Gaffer New Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Northumberland
    #1 Gaffer, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    I recently acquired the above bike. When restored it was wired for but not with indicators, I have since fitted replacement copies but cannot get them to flash, I also found that they only illuminate when lights are on but not ignition only. I replaced the Lucas flasher unit and cleaned all terminals to no avail. I have 23w bulbs fitted as supplied.
    Any help gratefully received, thanks.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I hate electrics!! Mainly 'cos I don't understand them too well.:confused: However ...
    ... is your bike a US market machine? I ask because at that time bikes sold into the US market had to have indicators lit all the time as 'running' lights. Having said that the headlight should be permanently lit as well, without an on/off switch, I do believe. I can't help thinking that you may have something of a 'halfway house' wiring set up.o_O
    It could also be bad earthing of the indicators themselves (or anything else for that matter!! Told you my understanding of electrics is woeful) as I seem to think I've heard of wires being run from the indicator stalks directly to 'earth' when indicators don't work properly.
    Just a couple of ideas from your local, but well meaning Luddite.:)

3. Gaffer

Gaffer New Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Northumberland
    Thanks for your input, methinks a visit to a 'Guru' of the mysterious energy is called for, always had trouble understanding things I can't see.

4. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Gaffer I think the wiring you have connected your indicators to are side markers which illuminated with parking lights.

5. Gaffer

Gaffer New Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Northumberland
    Thanks, you might have a
    Point there, though the bike was fully rewired when restored and I'm "assuming" a uk spec harness was used, think I need an auto electrician check it out.

6. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Have you checked wiring from indicator turn switch ?

7. Gaffer

Gaffer New Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Northumberland
    Saving that as a last resort, something I read about an internal spring and ball bearing, kinda clumsy when it comes to those haha

8. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi the wiring at switch you may be able to check colours of wires and follow wiring run.

9. Gaffer

Gaffer New Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Northumberland
    Thanks Peter, understood the question, think that may be my next logical move, asked a local mechanic at a bike shop and he told me it was a bit before his time haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    These youngsters haven't lived I have forgot more than they will ever know:)