7 months until my next lads only Euro tour

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Englishman, Nov 19, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    #1 Englishman, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    :upyeah:Ferry booked. Hull to Zeebrugge 13th June. short 1 week tour of southern Sausage land. We will be, Tiger 800, rocket III, America and sadly a Suzuki Bandit 600, which for its shortcomings, has 2 wheels so we can't be too harsh.,

8th year in a row to Europe on the bikes and this time on my America. Oh how I love motorbike tours and wives that like to see men have fun.

Oh yes.

Al

• Like Like x 4
  2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Used to do quite a few tours with mates, then the Mrs decided I was having too much fun and went and passed her bike test.

Have a great time:upyeah:

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Al have fun..
    I go abroad each year with a like minded group..there is a about 7 of us as well although on some guided tours there are quite a few more...
    We normally do a trip in May and September. And for the last 4 years have joined a group on a guided tour in June/ July...
    It's been great and I've made some great friends.

4. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Blimey, 3 bike tours a year I am totally jealous now. Wish I could get away with that.
    Good for you man.
    Al

5. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #5 folkbloke, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Ah yes, European touring. One of the real reasons for having a bike :upyeah:

Eight months to my next jaunt with the lads (average age 63!) to France. We've managed almost every year since 1987 and although we've had as many as 8 of us it's dwindled over time and we're down to the same 3 for the last 5 years.

There's been an interesting variety of machines (BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha but no Harleys or Kawasakis for some reason) over that time but now we're on newish Triumphs.

We used to choose places that were hot and had excellent roads which meant a good few trips to the Bol D'Or at Paul Ricard before that arsehole Ecclestone stopped it. Lots of riding, 200 miles a day for fun wasn't unusual, and plenty of eating and drinking in the evening. These days it's much more relaxed and some years the bikes don't get used at all except to get there (we haven't slowed down on the eating and drinking though :wink: )

I hope everyone has a good time on their trips and remember, shiny side up.

Cheers

Dick

6. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    I am also very jealous as with the ankle grippers and the missus the best I can do is 4 days up in Cumbria and Scotland on the bike this year.

Wife and kids always end up spoiling my fun :mad:

7. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Kill them!

8. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Just starting to think of our trip for next year.
    Did Santander up through France to St Marlo with 4 other bikes this year.
    Probably just me & Mrs this time as we'd like to do a bit more sight seeing this time.

9. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    Whats the guided tours name??

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I have used 2 Companies British Bike Tours and Horizion Motorcycle Tours...
    Horizion are slightly cheaper & Peter who used to run BBT has now handed the rains over to someone else...
    I can highly recommend the Blackforest tour, Vosgues Tour, and mini alpine tour...
    I've tended to go on the 4-5 day tours so it's not involved a long period off work..
    Its a great long weekend away...
    I've met loads of friends on the tours and we all try and get away each year..
    I know the owner of the Horizon tour and quite a few people who use them.
    I will be going away with Horizon again just not this year as most likely going to the US..
    Want to do India, Morroco, Himalaya or Vietnam or all 4 at some point..... :upyeah:

11. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Might be better seeing if I can trade them in ..... Nah costs too much money :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    Hi, 8 of us used horizion September just gone Vosgues tour was a good crack, only let down by the weather.

9 of us have booked the mini alps tour next July cant wait.

Our tour guide was called Kingsley.

13. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Gary, Kingsley is the bloke I know, his brother Dom and him own and run the tour company..I did the mini alpine tour this year.. Was good, some great roads & some crap roads.. snow, ice and sun... Really is a 4 climate trip... Can be sunny in the valley then rain,fog, snow & ice up the mountains.
    You will enjoy it..
    Did black Forrest & Vosgues with British bike tours..
    Most of my mates have booked up black forrest this year with Horizon..

14. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    what month did you do the alps tour? I do love a euro tour BUT they say the weather in the UK is wet but them Europeans get some rain ha ha only euro trip I have done in the last 7 years that I haven't seen rain was a trip to the Moto Gp in Spain only trouble was it was so bloody hot you couldn't breath lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    #15 Englishman, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Kingsley eh? what a great name, I went to school with a Kingsley and never met another.

I have heard about guided tours, never done one myself. I like to plan them in detail myself. Below is the plan for 2013. Took months and is a masterpiece. Sadly, it was still snowing in Potes 48 hours before we were due to leave in late MAY so I abandoned this work and made an alternative plan 2 nights before we departed for Santander. I have done this in the old MG with her ladyship and can confirm it is truly spectacular. If anyone wishes to have a go then please be my guest. (the tour, not her Ladyship)

Maybe one day I will try a guided tour but as was the case this year, it would have been a huge waste of a holiday unless they too just change everything which is difficult with paying customers one would imagine.

Anyhows, here is my 2013 masterpiece of biking nirvana I think it came out looking rather like a goat with a fox's head wearing a hat. As you can see, Potes was the base.

Go on, book a week off work and try it on. I used a different colour for each day. Make sure you go in June or later, May can be dodgy in this area of Spain.

[​IMG]

16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Gary
    We went at the end of June.. I would recommend a bit later as there was still snow on the ground in some places..
    Although the scenery with the snow was stunning....
    The fog was so bad in some places we were riding at 15-20 mph.. Couldn't see 10M in front of you...
    Then you ride around a corner and it clear and dry.. A crazy place....

17. pippawilky

pippawilky Member

Jun 27, 2013
    In Portugal at mo trail riding drz400 been up in the mountains on the algarve now can only say it is fantastic wish I has thruxton or well can't have everything :smile:

18. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    We are going on the 6/7/14 return 11th, me and a few others have other plans in August its a mates 50th and he wants to do a trackday at Oulton so 8 of us riding up for 3 or 4 days, September the same 8 are doing a 5 dayer to Scotland so it only leaves July for the Alps fingers crossed it will be ok?? If it isn't I might give the france/german trips a miss from now on great roads but the weather is shocking at times.

19. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    Englishman just printed that map thank you, so is it a day from Santander to Potes then a day on each of the other colours red/blue/green and then 5th day heading back to Santander??

20. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I prefer to get the ferry/Eurotunnel and just wing it. Worked every time, so far...