650 Motocross Bike

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by speedwaymoto, Jan 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon
    Hey from Oregon. I'm looking at buying a AHRMA ready 650. Looks like a factory sidecar frame, #T120RD1150104. Are these uncommon? Any help appreciated.

IMAG1135.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Have a look at www.tri-corengland.com which may help you.
    I reckon that the 'D' in the number equates to a 1970 frame/engine. As far as I am aware there was not a specific sidecar frame at that time. The bracket under the front of the tank is a mounting bracket for the standard fuel tank and the one at the front of the bottom frame rail would be for the side stand. However, the bracket under the top frame rail above and behind the carb(s) could easily be a throwback from the sidecar days.
    'Tis a long time since I owned such a beast - last seen on my '69 Bonneville in 1972 - so if my memory is playing tricks I apologise.:confused:
    There will, no doubt, be someone along soon who has access to a similar machine who can confirm/refute my ramblings from a time long gone!

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon
    Thanks. The temporary seat/tank hold down (aka string) goes through a tube the seller thought was for a sidecar mount. Maybe they all had it.

And down the rabbit hole I go.

IMAG1140.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Your frame is a standard 1963 T120R The 11 is a U, so your number is DU 50104.
    The lugs on the headstock are for police bike fairing fitting and appear on most frames as does the lug under the seat. What are the engine numbers? as you have a single carb head as in TR6, a common swap for dirt bikes :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon
    Thanks. T120R DU45015.

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Also 63 Bonneville, pre 67 frames were also favored by the dirt racers as it had the 65 deg head angle and not the later 62, great looking bike.

7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    11=U? Ah, now that explains a lot. No wonder I was a bit unsure about it. I guessed there was something wrong but I just couldn't quite figure it out.:confused:

Nice one, Darkman!:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon

9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Would look nice with an original fuel tank

10. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon
    Thanks for the info. Nice to know exactly what I've got. Got the beast fired up the other day, so it runs. Now to track down the oil leak. It's an interesting bike, nickel plated frame, pretty much complete. Getting a full restoration before hitting the dirt. Should be a blast.

• Like Like x 1
  11. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon

12. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon
    Yeah, the seller had a perfect tank but kept it. I might try to find one. It would really look better.

13. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Are you going to strip down the engine ?

14. speedwaymoto

speedwaymoto New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    oregon
    Not sure at this point. Indications are that the engine was rebuilt, and not run much. I have an endoscope we'll stick in the cylinders and look around for wear, hone marks, etc. We ran it for a minute or so, and it doesn't smoke or rattle. Has a good bark. First up is to mount the fuel tank so we can ride it. Can't wait for that. Looks like the bike was 90% done, but never finished.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mglemans86

mglemans86 New Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Florida, USA
    Hey, It's has the has the same center stand as my 64 Franny B scrambler

16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.