64 Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Charley, Nov 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    I have been looking for a early to late 60s triumph. I had a 67 Bonneville years ago and always regretted selling her. I found a 64 Thunderbird in very good condition. But, and there are always a few buts, it has been modified. All the numbers match but the cylinder and head have been changed to a 1974 750 Bonneville with a big bore kit from Morgo in it. It has twin Mikuni carbs and it has been twingled. It starts on the first kick and runs really nice. It was build by a local triumph expert who used to race for Triumph back in the 60s and 70s and parked about 12 years ago. So so I have been looking at a stock vintage bike, what do you all think of these mods? Like I said it is a clean bike. But the mods have me wondering. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I can get the bike for about 5k

• Like Like x 2
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    64 T Bird is quite a rare bike as not many survive as they were mostly Bonnevillised, 750 head and big bore won't detract much i looks as it's almost impossible for people to see the subtle differences and it just gives you a bit more low down grunt. Also if the rest of the bike is standard at that price you could always change it back to a 650 with a single carb and an Amal monobloc later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If you're not too bothered about originality then just enjoy the extra oomph that the 750 conversion gives you. Most people won't be able to spot the differences anyway, apart from the carbs, just by a quick(ish) look. Plus, if it has been built properly by someone who knows what he is doing, then all should be well - hopefully.
    As Darkman has said, if you want originality then it's not too difficult to achieve.
    Has the front brake been uprated? The 1968-1970 twin leading shoe front brake would be a good conversion to cope with the extra power (more originality gone down the toilet!).
    At the price quoted it should be a good buy (around £4000 UKstg if my ability to do sums in my head is anything like!).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    I don’t know for sure about the front brakes but I believe it is the stock hub so its not likely something that has been done. Your conversion in your head is pretty close..actually about £3900. And as Darkman mentioned I think with the change to the top end they did try to Bonnevilleize the bike. In fact I just found out the tank and seat are from a 68 Bonneville.

• Like Like x 2
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Luckily for you there are an abundance of cheap parts for these bikes in the US and far cheaper than here in the UK, my thoughts are if you really like the bike then buy it and go from there but if in doubt look for another :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    I have found a few sites with parts for the, bike which is good. Can you recommend a book or two on vintage Triumphs. There are a lot to choose from in books but I would like your suggestions on some good ones.

Thanks again
    Charley

• Like Like x 1
  9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I don't read books as a rule Charley as i have a short attention span so can't help you on that one but you could get the workshop manual and parts books that will tell you everything you need to know :) As for all the other books take your pick and enjoy them as even the experts tend to disagree. Forums and Facebook are the best places to glean knowledge as you already know.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    Thank you...I will do just that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Do you have dedicated classic bike magazines over there? They can be a good source of information and also parts suppliers. We have such delights as 'Classic Bike Guide', 'Classic Bike', 'Classic Motorcycle Mechanics' and 'The Classic Motorcycle'.
    Also, have a look at www.realclassic.co.uk which you may find to be of interest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    Thank you...we have some magazines about classic bikes. I read them a lot. As for this Thunderbird the more I look at it the more I see it has been Bonnevilled. Fenders and tank and such..It's a tough choice for me because he just dropped the price for me down to 4500US. I have to decide which is more important..ridability or complete restoration..this one will clean up nicely but probably never be factory correct. I a also looking at 1970 T100C..

Thank you for your suggestions on reading. I like the real classic co site you sent me. Very nice

• Like Like x 2
  13. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    70 T100C is a fantastic bike and quite rare as well as becoming collectable now, i built one for my partner this year a 71 and parts are more readily available if you want to keep it standard.

DSC_0012.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  14. Hermit

Hermit New Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Southern Quebec
    Hi Charley, like you I'm a new member here. You were asking about books on classic Triumphs - I have list on my website:
    www.hermit.cc/tmc/resource/books/index.htm

You may also be interested in this page:
    www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm

It's special orientation is for the 1969 T120R, but there is a lot of info which pertains to just about any classic Triumph.

Cheers!
    Hermit

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    Thank you very much...good information in your links..thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  16. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    That is one beautiful bike you built for your partner. Out of curiosity if you could have one or the other which would you go for? mid 60s 650 or 70s 500? I have ridden many bikes and never felt under gunned with the 500. I Had thought if I wanted to build a vintage adventure bike using the T100C as the base for the bike just seemed right. But again I had a friend who had a Rickman with a Trophy motor that was a great bike as well. choices choice..so many choices. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Charley

Nov 22, 2018
    Bellingham, Washington
    Hermit, Wow, your information is extensive and very thorough..thank you again..and as one new member to another...Welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Haha, the big size debate 500 or 650. I have always rode the 650 Triumphs from my teenage days and i have a 69 T120R and a 70 TR6C at the moment but the truth is the 500 is a slightly better all round package as far as weight and having smoother engine. Su my partner had a 750 triple before but as we have both become older she found the weight a little problematic at times so i built her the T100C and it has refreshed both our memories as to just how good these bikes are and i am now restoring a 69 T100R for her as well (look in the builds and projects section) As for which bike do you go with just take some time to look around as there are plenty for sale and soon one will say i'm the one :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1