50cc Bikes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by littleade, Mar 23, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    What are the government thinking :mad:

Yesterday I followed a young lad on a 50cc bike in my car. It was a 20 plate bike and the thing is restricted to just 30 mph and once we got to a hill his speed dropped like a stone to 15mph. It's a narrow B road with a restricted view through a series of bends and double yellow lines so obviously no overtaking. I stayed behind him after we crested the hill as the traffic was buikding up behind us all the way until I had to turn off so he could build a bit of speed back up as I felt he was in actual danger due to his bike's pathetic performance. He actually gave me the low hand thanks with his left hand so was aware of what I was doing to try and protect him. How come they have to ride things with such poor performance that actually puts them at risk from other impatient road users?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    IIRC these 50cc bikes have been restricted to 30 mph for 20 years at least.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    I don't necessarily have a problem with them being restricted in general Dave but think if they are restricted they should be able to hold that speed going uphill.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    We all said the same as when they came out being an old bastard I was lucky and could ride a 250cc on L plates when I was 16 BSA C15 never showed more than 60 on the clock. The poor thing was abused something rotten Ah those were the days. Nipper had a RD 50 MX or something like that, that would die a bit up hill maybe 25 to 30 but I had it reading 50 on the clock down hill once. Not knowing anything about making them go faster I put a micron exhaust on ultra thin head gasket to raise the compression and it didn't add a signal mph was gutted looking back I think it should have had a bigger carburetor but to late now. Sorry I seem to have waffled on.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Carlow
    50cc bikes and roundabouts don't fair well neither.

I do worry about you Dad following young lads on there mopeds , mum won't like it :p

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    I worry about you too son, it's their, not there:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    My son had a restricted 50cc ped for getting to college.
    I felt that the 30mph restriction was OK in principle but on hills no way!
    I fitted a de-restrictor kit so he could at least get up to 25mph on hills. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. johne

johne Senior Member

I was always worried about the lack of power available when my son was 16 and had a Yamaha TZR 50cc ped, but he went all over the place on it with his mates, even a road trip down to the South coast! (We live up in Yorkshire) But that was 12 years ago and perhaps the traffic wasn't as bad as it is now, outside of the current Covid restrictions of course. I have the opposite problem now. He's just bought a Tuono 1100 V4, the same as the one I have, so with 175 bhp on tap he's got an extra 60 horses in the bank after having a MT-09 Yamaha for the past 3 or 4 years. I think as parents, we always worry about our kids, whatever age they may be, but I do think the restrictions on 50cc motorcycles have been too harsh since the good old days of the FS1E and its contemporaries back in the 70's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    When I was in my teens a bunch of my mates travelled down to Cornwall from Oldham for a weeks holiday on their bikes. One lad (and he was just like Wurzel Gummidge in looks and brains) had a 50cc KTM moped so he would have seriously held everybody up. Not so, he was towed by another lad on a Suzuki GT 550. Wouldn't get away with it these days.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Littleade.
    This has me smiling from ear to ear. I bought my Boy one as he was riding from Burnham to Henley collage a few years ago. Poor little sod had to push it up all the hills. You know he never even brought it up and suffered for a couple of years. He didn't want to let me down.
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    The problem today @joe mc donald is there's so many vehicles on the road, they are all bigger, safer (for the occupants) and more powerful, driving standards are a lot worse, people are so impatient. Invariably they don't give a stuff about others on the road including the vulnerable users like youngsters on low powered bikes which potentially has the ability to go very wrong and we all know who'll come off worse if it does.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014

Was he going faster than a pushbike ridden by an OAP? where's the difference?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don’t worry about him following young boys around, feel pleased that he has found a bike he can put both feet down on the ground at the same time on

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    The OAP can get off and push his bike uphill on the footpath, the poor yoof doesn't have that choice, so has no option other than to carry on getting slower and slower......;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Last time I got both feet diwn was on my 3 wheeled trike when I was pre school age

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Over here in Holland we have two types of 50cc mopeds, distinguished by the colour of their number plates.
    Yellow = maximum speed 45km per hour and not allowed to use the cycle tracks in a lot of cities (need to use the road)
    Blue = maximum speed 25km per hour. Basically counts as a bicycle and can be used on all cycle tracks.

luckily you can literally go from any town to any town on the the cycle tracks without ever needing to go on the road.
    I have a Yamaha Neos 50cc with blue number plates and I use it a lot to do my shopping as I can literally park outside shops and can get 3 shopping bags full of groceries in/on it.

I certainly wouldn’t entertain having a 50cc restricted bike/scooter in the UK and be forced to use the roads. It’s completely dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Carlow
    I blame my upbringing

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    It shouldn’t be that difficult to restrict them electronically to 30 and have the power upped a bit to compensate for the hills in this day and age?
    Sure, ripe for hacking but surely could be locked somehow?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Before my teens my first bike was a 50cc Honda dirt bike. It would clock 50mph on dirt. No restrictions there! I graduated up to a full sized Suzuki 185 dual sport and terrorized the roads as well.

20. swampy61

swampy61 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Shropshire
    Since they were restricted in 76/77 they have been deathtrap. I wouldn't recommend a 16 year old riding one. Wait the extra year and get something more powerful and safer.