Featured 5 Key Blanks - Free

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Ron Ashurst, Jun 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst Non of your damned business
    Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    I asked in a key cutting shop for a blank once, as I had the lock, and wanted to make my own key. They would only sell me one if I could let them copy an existing key!

However, I give you a pound for the key on the right, and an address to post the pound to... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    No

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ron
    Watch out they are after Scarlet.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    Naw, I figured he was was just drunk or daft. He's a Scot after all. You have to make allowances. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Stone cold sober :)

Just daft :p

Out of interest, if you got the right blanks, how were you going to get the keys cut? Would a shop cut them for you if they weren't supplying the blank themselves?

Are all Triumph keys the same shank profile? I could take mine into the local shop and ask if they have any if they are. See if I can talk them into selling one to me and I'll post it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    I presume not. At least between the new and older bikes. And nobody around me has the damned blank.
    I have a hardware store that has an older machine that will cut it. But I already enlisted @Dozers Dad help and he is getting a blank for me. I can get a newer blank on ebay. But all the older ones are iffy.
    Thank You for the offer though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    No worries, always happy to help if I can.

That's cool. :)

Mine's mid 90's if its an older key you need. I'll compare profiles later, just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. freck

freck Senior Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I bought my blank off eBay and it’s a genuine Triumph one, was still in the Triumph bag. I just took it to my local Timpsons and they cut it without a problem :grinning:
    I know that’s not much help to Ron as I doubt they have Timpsons over there but you get the idea, the older blanks are easy to copy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    I can go into almost any store and get a key cut for a hardley and probably a Honda. I went to the big hardware store and asked if they cut motorcycle keys and he said sure. What kind. I said a 96 Triumph and he got a blank look on his face and said I doubt if I have that. He didn't even have the number for the blank. But he had hardleys. :mad:

I was ready to go buy gas cans and some matches.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    IMG_20190701_090714-600x800.jpg

Here's a spare I got cut for mine.

Manufacturer is Silca, of Italy, and the blank code is KW8R

Does that help?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

#13 Dozers Dad, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Possibly because the 90's Sprints, Tridents, Speed Triples etc. Allegedly share a lot of DNA with a Kawasaki?
    Rumour has it that an example of the notoriously bomb proof GPZ900R was dismantled at the Triumph factory & several key (pun intended) elements were copied.

Edit... It might be worth you trying your local key cutting place for a Kawasaki blank @Ron Ashurst?

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    Thank You Sandy. That kind of makes sense with how much this era of Triumph was based on a Kawasaki. I will look for that key

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Adie P

Adie P Noble Member
    Subscriber

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The rumour aout the GPZ900 are, fundamentally, true. In around 1991 I read an article in a "mainstream" newspaper (Times, Torygraph or something similar) detailing the rebirth of the Triumph brand; the genesis of the Hinckley project and the impending release of the new modular range of DOHC triples and fours. The article had a photograph of a couple of Triumph engineers standing beside a pre-production Trident.

As I recall, the article was frank about where Triumph saw its future model range and even more frank about the range's progenitor! It stated that the GPZ had, effectively, been "reverse engineered" at the Hinckley factory simply to see where the basic design package could be improved and all of the noted improvements were incorporated into the new bike. This was also confirmed when I went on one of the early factory tours in 1992 - in those days they were organised by the dealers. We were greeted (in the boardroom) by Bruno Tagliaferri; allowed a Q&A session with him, and then lead around almost all of the factory - though they declined to actually name the bike or brand and merely stated that the "best in class" motorcycle was used as a standard on which Triumph had built and improved every aspect of the new machine. It could be argued that the tubular spine frame wasn't really an improvement on the GPZ's but, in terms of manufacturing cost effectiveness, it was seen as an acceptable 'compromise' that didn't compromise overall finished quality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Cheers for the confirmation Adie.
    I've been perpetuating that "rumour" for decades.
    It's good to know that it genuinely has some fact to it :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    The 900r was one of my favourite bikes. Sigh. I remember going through Glasgow years ago with a set of somewhat loud cans on... Set off every car alarm I passed for miles! "This is your 2am alarm call..." lol.

Interesting reading, the post by @Adie P Thanks for that :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

#18 Dozers Dad, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Another GPZ900R factoid...

I bought one brand new (well nearly?) In 1995.
    Apparently, it's the only bike to ever be reintroduced due to customer demand? It was deleted from Kawasakis range several years prior. About the same time Honda introduced the Fireblade & Yamaha had the YZF1000 Exup.
    Obviously, it couldn't compete with either of those in the handling dept but it was still quick & a feck site more comfy than a Blade or Exup as a long distance machine.

I found out about it's reintroduction about 3 weeks too late & every dealer I contacted had sold out of the colour I wanted (black & gold)
    About 6 weeks later my local dealer called to say a buyer had brought one back into them barely used.
    I was down there in a flash with cash in hand! :)
    I probably spent the saving on the new price on beer? I was young & foolish. Now I'm just foolish :)

Edit... it looked like this :yum
    $_86.JPG.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  19. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again
    Subscriber

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Very nice. A real power bike

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Big Sandy

Big Sandy Noble Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Sutherland, uk
    Mate of mine bought one, whilst he was banned. He spent an entire year doing it up, full team green paint job, decals, the lot. Fully tuned the engine etc..

Came to work on it first day his ban was lifted, (we were on permanent nights at the time) and bummed on about how fast he'd already gone with it... So of course all the lads ripped the pish out of him. 6am and he pulls a massive wheelie out of the car park, races off... Got about 5 miles before he'd wrapped it round a lamppost and impaled himself on some steel railings. Epic scar, right up his middle except for where it went round his bellybutton. Bike was totalled.

They were a lovely bike though. Polite when asked, but could be very bad mannered :D. I remember one day in Matlock Bath, there was two guys trying each others bikes out. One had a 900r and the other a V-max. Neither liked the other... The comments were very funny!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1