3ta

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by layfin, Sep 19, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. layfin

layfin New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Hi All.

I have just started my 3TA 1966 after it being laid up for 12 months. It started pumping oil out of the engine breather pipe. It was fine when i last used it. I would appreciate any help on what the problem might be.

Regards.

Chris.

2. holgate-ghost

holgate-ghost New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Redcar,North Yorkshire
    layfin : Had the oil been drained before lay-up ? my old BSA C15 used to "wet-sump" after standing even a few weeks . ie the oil all drained into the sump , and fired the whole lot up into the cylinder head upon start-up . This overloaded the return pipe into the oil tank and consequently some would come out of the breather pipe as well . The C15 system was virtually identical to my old 3TA .
    I used to push the oil around using the kick-start , with ignition off , to get some out of the sump , before firing it up .
    You may already know this , but it sounds familiar .
    HG:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  3. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Fuck me - a sensible, hopefully helpful reply! You sure your on the right forum HG? :wink:

4. holgate-ghost

holgate-ghost New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Redcar,North Yorkshire
    :biggrin: Its an easy fix if its right brybrem , I `ve had the contents of the sump on the garage floor a couple of times , I can tell you . Hope it works layfin :HG: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. layfin

layfin New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Really appreciate your help. I have read up a fair bit on wet sumping since. Think I will have to remove the oil pump and clean it up.

Best regards.

Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  6. holgate-ghost

holgate-ghost New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Redcar,North Yorkshire
    Won`t do any harm Chris .
    If thats the issue , it means draining it when you lay it up .
    PS . At least you know the oil pump is OK .

• Like Like x 1
  7. layfin

layfin New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Thanks. I replaced the balls and springs in the oil pump and the spring in the release valve. Perfect now.

• Like Like x 1