3TA cylinder base nuts

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Richard Horrocks, Sep 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Horrocks

Richard Horrocks New Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Leicester
    Hi folks,

I'm about to start on a project that requires me to un-do the cylinder base nuts on my 1961 3TA.

The manual says they're 3/16 W, and measuring them confirms this (so they haven't been changed by someone in the past). However, I can't get a normal open-ended spanner, nor a ring spanner into the cavity created by the engine casing and the fins on the cylinder body.

I've tried using the NA66 ring spanner that would have come with the bike, but no joy there either.

What tool should I be using?

Thanks in advance.

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #2 sprintdave, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    i would grind an old ring spanner down so it fits,or maybe you an get a start using an open ender or even a tap with a small punch or chisel to start it off. I used to have such tools about from my Bonnie days but they got nicked when my garage was broken into. had many weird and wonderful home made tools,spanners bent at different angles , short stubby screwdriver blade with flats on the end to adjust bonnie primary chain etc

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi Richard, welcome in!:)

I totally understand your problem, as I was going to take the head and barrels off my 5TA many moons ago (and I DO mean many!) but my rudimentary tool kit (Dad's old cast offs) and lack of experience (I was only 17 years old) combined to thwart me after cylinder head removal:(. Fortunately the bores/pistons were in good nick, so removal of those nuts was, thankfully, unnecessary whilst being impossible for me. Sigh!
    Have you tried having a word with any Meriden Triumph restorers/spares suppliers as found in the ads in such magazines as Classic Bike Guide or Classic Bike? Just a thought.
    Good luck with it.

4. phantom

phantom Member

Jul 17, 2016
    n.e. lincs
    Hi,I had to grind down an open ended spanner to do my 1960 3ta then when reasembling tighten with ground down ring spanner.
    Good luck

5. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Back in my 3TA and 5TA days (late 60s early 70s) my local Triumph dealer sold me a special ring spanner for this job. Its was the same as a normal ring spanner but flat (no elbows) along its length. Think its still in my tool box somewhere!!

6. Richard Horrocks

Sep 30, 2016
    Leicester
    Thanks for all the replies.

I get the grinder out and attack an old 3/16 ring spanner, and see how far I get :)

It's a shame someone doesn't make the spanner that Pasher mentioned any more...

7. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  9. Richard Horrocks

Sep 30, 2016
    Leicester
    I've seen the 7/16 x 1/2 AF spanners like the ones on triumph-spares.co.uk, but I presume they're for later bikes. (i.e. Post-1968? I think that's when various things changed?)

3/16 W is pretty close to 7/16 AF, but I didn't want to risk rounding anything off - they I'd be really screwed. (Actually, I might check again how close they are... )

10. Vintage Triumph Supply

Sep 21, 2016
    Massachusetts
    We grind the back of our wrenches ;)

11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    dont say I didnt tell ya,lol

• Like Like x 1