Featured 3 Pot Caliper Upgrade

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Andy-K2, Jun 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Guys.

I've read a few threads relating to the 3 pot caliper upgrade for the Bonneville, but mostly that the ABS version of this caliper was that the middle piston wont work as something to do with the link pipe that connects to a second caliper, to be fair its above me to explain as its way to technical so I searched for answers on this beloved site, sadly although I found posts about it no photos were to be found. Rudeboy (my cousin) found an awesome post about drilling a hole behind the middle piston on the ABS caliper to make all three work which was my plan after buying this upgrade. o_O

:) To my surprise after leaving Rudeboys house with a plan in mind, I returned home and removed the 3 pistons only to find that this mod has already been done. Mind you this was not a 3mm hole drilled behind the middle piston, this was an engineered bowl that allowed all 3 pistons to be connected to allow the fluid to pass to make all three pistons work. Now I have brakes that stop a 500lb Bonneville on its nose, so if your looking to upgrade your front brakes, give this guys product a go, you won't be sorry.... Very Happy :cool:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/front-br...953703?hash=item3d6960c167:g:iqwAAOSwn-tZNq22 :D

• Like Like x 7
  2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    There's information somewhere on here detailing which standard honda/nissin 3 pot calipers can be fitted to the Bonnie. Some Honda models don't have abs on the front so it's an easy exchange. I fitted one from a Honda cb1100r. It was a straight swap with no abs issues. TriBriBon posted a link for the caliper I bought. He has done the same and is very knowledgeable on the subject.

Of all the upgrades I've done to my bike the caliper swap is probably the best. Closely followed by a shock upgrade. It's how the bike should have left the factory. Cheapskate Triumph.

Some of the basic Harleys also have a two pot single disc set up. It's a popular upgrade for them too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    I found it very difficult to find and purchase a decent left hand caliper that was listed on the very helpful post by one of our members, to be fair I bought one but found it was pretty much the same as the OEM one on my bike. Also most offered for sale were from the ABS versions that were available which I understood you would have to drill behind the rear of the middle piston for it to work, pretty dodgy stuff on a £80.00 plus purchase if your not sure on what your doing. I only wanted to direct members wanting a easy to find and purchase a caliper that was not only new but work as should. Im still bedding mine in but getting happier every day that passes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I agree completely with you mate. It's a great link you've posted.

I was lucky and picked up on a link TriBriBon posted for my Honda 3 pot caliper. He was confident it was a straight swap having done the same upgrade himself. The one I bought was like new and only needed minor cleaning. I wouldn't have trusted myself to buy a used caliper with any confidence I was getting the right one. And no way would I be drilling holes in an abs model caliper to make it work on a Bonnie.

I can't find the link but I was just trying to say that someone had gone to the trouble of listing which non abs Honda models would allow a straight forward upgrade to a 3 pot caliper.

I had to bed mine in too as I fitted new pads just to be on the safe side. Awesome stopping power when it's all settled down.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Hi All,

Yes a suprising find on the ebay caliper from the itailian chap I went down the hard route with some pointers from TriBriBon starting with a scabby ebay caliper from Lithuania but it turned out ok after a complete refurb,the above link from Andy is a well good upgrade compared to the standard factory setup Dilly Dilly,

Ride Safe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Broon

Broon New Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Southampton
    Taken the plunge and just ordered one of 3 piston Nissin calipers from Marcelo via eBay. Thanks for link.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I think our Andys has just about bedded in now after a weeks usage definitely a worthy upgrade to your Bonny only used mine several times since fitting but very happy with how it pulls up now compared to the stock setup

8. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Have to agree Nick, I've put a few miles in the new caliper and is pulling up very nicely but most of all is the improved feel of the front brake, the OEM caliper felt like it was using blocks of wood as brake pads, no feel at all however now I know exactly what is going on at the front, best ton fifty I've spent so far, lets hope the new suspension gives me the same pleasure.:cool:

9. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Hi Broon. If you are able to remove the middle piston you will see what I meant by the engineered joining to the two outer pistons. I have a photo somewhere of it, I'll add it if I can shortly although Rudeboy said it wasn't clear enough to see exactly what is going on inside. It took a little bleeding as there is two bleed nipples but once you have it sorted it will be a vast improvement. After I bleed mine to be sure I had it perfect I tied the brake lever with a bungee to the throttle so the lever was on and left it overnight and gave it another bleeding to ensure I had right, I can be a little over cautious at times.

In the photo, if you look at the middle piston you can see an inner circle, this is a shoulder for the piston to sit on it of course steps in and very neatly machined back a further 5mm ish to make the join. Hope you are as happy as I am with it, im sure you will be. Oh yes, the red line is just a straw to show the joining chambers for the photo.:)

3 Pot Caliper.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Broon

Broon New Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Southampton
    Great photos and thanks for the explanation as to how the 3 pots are linked. Question - When you blead the new 3 pot caliper did you do it with the caliper mounted or remove it, put some spacers between the pads and pump the brakes with the caliper in different positions to help remove any trapped air at the highest point inside the caliper. I found I had to do that when I fitted a HEL brakle line to the original 2 pot caliper.

11. TriBriBon

TriBriBon Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    UK
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
  13. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    #13 Andy-K2, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Hi Broon... In fairness no I didn't, the only thing I did to help the flow of brake fluid was to open the bleed nipple and let the fluid free fall and flow out, I waited a few short seconds and then bled as I was taught. This was done bolted in place, I never thought about taking it off and doing as you said however I will remember that for any future work I carry out, learning all the time, great tip Broon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy-K2

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    Same here regarding the seller. One thing I will say TriBriBon, the caliper I purchased for £40 more was new although I didn't have the option to make an offer otherwise I would have :)

PS: not wishing to step on your toes mate, I read your post on the caliper upgrade and it was that that got me to sort mine. I managed to get one off your list but found it was not any better than the OEM one, also looked for a decent 3 pot jobby but all I could find was tat (not the lucky type), so chose to go the new route. (we need a thumbs up emoticon;))

15. Broon

Broon New Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Southampton
    If you need to upgrade your front brake line from the original then Marcello’s deal on EBay at £145 for a new Nissin 3pot caliper plus line is pretty good (cost me £28 for a new HEL line a few months ago). The main point here is that we share the info and forum members make their choice. I have yet to fit mine but versus the £336 for the 6 pot TTP caliper both look like a good deal. This is a great forum for sharing knowledge and ideas ... keep it up !

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Exactly I’m pretty good on the tools or used to be as not done it as a paid job for twenty years nearly now not forgotten but stuff moves on thing is we never stop learning and this forum is a good learning platform and a great place to swap ideas and info
    Ride Safe

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TriBriBon

Jun 23, 2017
    UK
    Lost me there Andy, unless you bought a 2 potter, and there wouldn't be any advantage fitting another 2 pot would there they're identical.
    The list I think you refer to was one that I just past one from an original post on here somewhere.
    They're out there as Nick will confirm, just a matter of being quick enough when they do pop up.

Glad you got it sorted :cool:

TBB

18. TriBriBon

Jun 23, 2017
    UK
    I have this guy saved in my eBay fav's he periodically has them and is always good with his prices, he was the guy that warned me about converting ABS calipers, by drilling them out.
    Each to his own matey.
    How's the SE performing ?

Cheers

19. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    AbFab we are out on a run Sunday to Lynmouth two Bonnies and a Kwacker 900 custom should be interesting