3/5ta Rebuild

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by black sid, Jul 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. black sid

black sid New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    london
    Hi guys and girls

I am rebuilding a 3/5TA. The Amal carb body has damaged threads where the top screws on and I think a replacement is the way forward. There seem to be plenty around on ebay. The existing carb is 26mm and I am wondering how much bigger I can go without causing setup problems

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi black sid, and welcome!
    I have been led to believe that the carb size should match the size of the inlet manifold. 'Tis a long time since I had my 5TA (50 bloody years FFS!) so I don't know if the 5TA manifold is different to the 3TA version.
    An alternative could be to fit twin carbs if the Tiger 90 or Tiger 100 were set up that way - buggered if I can remember whether they had twin or single carbs as standard. If they did have twin carbs then you will have a good starting point as a reference. Or do want to keep the bike standard looking?
    Fitting twin carbs to single carb bikes was pretty normal back in those days - my mate had a 650 Trophy which he fitted twin carbs to and got an instant Bonneville ... he said the carbs were the only (mechanical) difference. He worked at a bike dealer in Leeds so I believed him. Gullible? Moi? Aye, probably.

• Like Like x 1
  3. black sid

black sid New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    london
    That makes perfect sense Steve thanks mate. I am not bothered about getting an authentic standard look so the twin carb setup is an option I would like to consider also although thats a mod in the pursuit of power when we all know that engine is never gonna do much more than make a lot of noise and smoke and so is a pretty futile gesture. Thanks again mate.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If buying a new carburetor i would find out which carb is correct for your bike and fit that as this will give the best results :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    [​IMG]Sid good luck with it and dont forget pics,we like pics.
    [​IMG]
    Only joking hehe.

7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  8. black sid

black sid New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    london
    nice 1 chaps...pics when its finished...dont hold yer breath