2nd Dead Regulator In 2 Days

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mortier, Jun 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mortier

Mortier New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Belgium
    Hi, I have a Tiger 955i (2003) and have a recurrent problem with my regulator.
    Last week I went to Germany but after driving in the rain I couldn't start up my bike anymore. The battery was dead, so I putted a new battery, started up the engine again, but I saw that the warninglight of the engine on my dash didn't went out. So I stopped again and measured the regulator output-voltage which was only 0.5Vdc. The alternator was OK. I replaced the regulator and it was OK again. The day after we drove again through heavy rainfull and again the regulator went dead. The battery discharges then slowly while driving and I can't start the engine again. So I was forced to leave my bike in Germany.
    FYI, 3 years ago when I bought this bike I've also replaced immediatly the alternator and regulator (R99 MOSFET-type) because my predecessor had the same problem without knowing it.
    So I fear that it's due to the rain that the regulator fails. Waterintrusion somewhere?
    Does anyone has an idea what can be the cause?

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    You need to check the regulator connectors and wiring from the alternator all the way to the battery connections for any signs of damage and burning / overheating. This includes looking carefully inside and outside of all the connectors involved.

3. Mortier

Mortier New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Belgium
    That's what I'm intended to do but I wanted to gain some time to check if maybe someone knew that this is a 'typical' well-known bug or design-failure for the 955i-series.
    Or someone who had the same experience?
    You never know.

4. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Mortier.
    Sorry to hear of your problems.I know its a long shot but is it possible that there is a recall on that year/model??? & it has been missed????.
    Ive had a few regulators die on me, and as a matter of course Ive had the other 2 components battery & alternator re wound (if needed) changed with it to start a fresh so to speak. When my 2012 street triple`s regulator went I changed it for one that connected directly to the battery...Whether or not they do one for your bike is another thing...sorry I can`t be more helpful & I wish you good luck in finding the problem

5. Mortier

Mortier New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Belgium
    Hey, I don't know that there's was a recall for this year and type. I know there was a regulator-recall for the Street triple 2009.
    Anyway, I've changed already several regulator, and the last was a MOSFET-type (Eltrexworld R99). But the problem is that it went dead after heavy rain. So I assume the problem is that water causes my regulators to break down. And that's strange and can be anywhere. Any idea?