2035 Petrol & Diesel Engine Ban.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Feb 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Can't find any mention of the proposed ICE (internal combustion engine) ban in 2035 on the forum so maybe this is the first.
    It's just been confirmed by MAG (the organisation you should all belong to) that motorcycles are NOT included in the proposal.
    That sounds like good news and lucky us, although I'm quite amazed that the government is exempting powered 2-wheelers. If the proposal goes ahead and the bulk of ICE vehicles disappear from our roads as we approach 2035, how many petrol stations will be left to supply us?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Yes heard yesterday bikes were exempt, never thought about the fuel thing though! not that it will matter to me I'll ave had the arse burnt out me in the crem by then anyway!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Guessing there will still be filling stations for years after then, as it's only no new petrol and diesels being sold, there will still be lots of old vehicles still in use. Not sure if commercial diesels are also being banned, the wording suggested cars?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    That's probably true, so we've at least another 20 years..that'll do me :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Isnt the ban on just the sale of ICE vehicles? The military, and other entities will have to keep ICE vehicles, so petrol stations should be common for at least another 10 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Yup, it's the sale of ICE vehicles, I should have said that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Could the reason for a no ban on motorcycles be that most people won't be able to afford and run an electric car :-(

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    I wouldn't write off the ICE just yet. According to Pat Symonds, Formula 1's chief technical officer, the future power plants for formula one will be greener than electric vehicles and they'll be 2 strokes running on hydrogen. More power, simpler, lighter, and cleaner. No problems with range or silly refuelling times. Sounds good to me.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cabe

Cabe Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Scotland
    As long as you can keep it from going all Hindenburg on you. Fewer fire-extinguishers on a bike, though. : )

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Hmmm. In 2035 I'll be 73 years old.

Hopefully still riding motorbikes at 73, and after all, anyone rode a Bonneville lately? That bike is so easy to ride that I expended more energy getting a massage last night than I did riding to the appointment.

My shiny Triumphs will still be stored indoors and thus still shiny, but they will be almost 20 years old. My 2005 Tuono Racing will be 30 years old and Italian (which means, still shiny but not running, so it won't need any gasoline).

So OK, fair play, ban gas-powered cars.

One thing I do wonder is "do the people know where electricity comes from?" Answer: Sure there are hydro dams and solar arrays, but most electricity still comes from burning fossil fuels to boil water, and the steam from the boiling water spins a turbine, which spins a generator, which makes electricity.

So making electricity uses fossil fuels, too. Natural gas or coal, mostly. Sure, someday we'll have a significant percentage of our electricity made with photovoltaics, but not today or even in the next ten years.

Physics is at play here so the best you can do is about 38% efficiency at the power plant. The rest of the fuel energy goes up the stack. There's about 5% transmission loss in the wiring network before it gets to your car or makes your lights bright.

So your clean, green electric car is actually burning fossil fuels at a 33% efficiency.

A gasoline powered car is pretty inefficient, too, though. Between 20% and 37% depending who you are talking to and how they measure it.

Certainly the low hanging fruit (at least in the short term) would be to make cars more efficient, rather than a wholesale change to electric vehicles. Here in the US we've had a tough time regulating that. Gasoline is pretty cheap (about $3.50 (or 2.70 pounds sterling) per gallon) and we surely do prefer high powered relatively inefficient vehicles to the Toyota Pious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    You will still be able to buy a diesel or petrol until 2035 then 15yrs after that they are banned,so buy a new car and bike in 2034 and you will have 30yrs from now,most bikers will be too old to give a shit by then including me so it is irrelevant,i will never be buying anything electric.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Of course. Silly me. Petrol isn't at all inflammable , is it ? : unamused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Cabe

Cabe Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Scotland
    The gas certainly is, but we have a few more years of experience with, and development of, that particular propellant.
    Don't mind me, still grumpy about the rotary engine not catching on. : )

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I think most of us know that a fair proportion of our electricity comes from fossil fuels and will do for some time yet. However there's another side to this. Power stations in the UK have to have some sort of filter system (don't know the specific details but I'm sure someone on here does) to remove pollutants, which are more efficient than those on ICE vehicles (especially if you remove the cat). We have all sat in traffic, especially in cities, and breathed in the crap being emitted from surrounding vehicles. Also CO2 capture is a developing technology, which can be more easily applied to power stations than vehicles.

I have two 30 year old bikes (both Honda sports reps) which are going strong, so there's no reason why my Triumph shouldn't still be roadworthy in 30 years ..maybe :p

• Like Like x 3
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I treat these announcements as pathetic kite flying by an administration trying to burnish its green credentials knowing full well they will never be required to deliver on them. The magnificent lack of consultation with manufacturers about the art of the possible speaks volumes. Ditto gas boilers. Insulation is the single most cost effective way of reducing consumption.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    #16 Alan Gilbert, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    I can't help thinking the ICE ban is just political claptrap, designed for public consumption and hasn't been thought through properly. Either way, I'm not convinced that battery packs in cars are the future. Lithium mining and disposal creates issues and then of course, there's the myth surrounding CO2 production. . . .
    If you take a gallon of petrol, the "average" car might travel 40 miles. Take an amount of fuel oil or natural gas with the same energy content, burn it in a power station, convert to electricity and use the energy to charge a battery. . . . . . Each process will involve losses such that your average electric car will only receive a charge equivalent to perhaps 10-15% of the energy which was in the initial fuel and will doubtless travel a shorter distance than had the fuel been simply burned in the car and converted into mechanical energy. The only green argument applies if electricity is produced by renewables or nuclear which ain't going to happen any time soon.
    If every vehicle on the road required charging overnight, we would most likely need to double or even treble the number of power stations in our current generating infrastructure and we won't be able to do that with windfarms - it will have to be largely gas fired power stations or nuclear and as much as I hate the latter (think Three Mile Island, Chernobyl & Fukushima), I see no alternative . . . . It seems to me the whole thing is nonsense and doesn't address the root cause of climate change . . . . too many people on this planet peeps!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Quite right. The people who come up with these ideas (to further their own careers in many cases) will be long gone by the time their deadlines come along, that's if future governments haven't already modified or even scrapped the policy.
    We all knew HS2 would at least double in cost..bleedin' obvious, these things always do. It'll never get past Birmingham before it's scrapped anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Too many people is right. A lot of our problems stem from over-population, but you try telling people to limit the number of kids they make...:mad:

19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Oh I think political donations by potential beneficiaries in the construction industries may be a factor........

20. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    No need to . . . .
    Stop Family Credit and child support and in its place, offer a reduced tax rate or other rebate for those with no children. If I had paid less tax for the last 60 years, I would be pretty rich by now and there would be even more bikes in my garage!!! :)

• Like Like x 3