765 2023 Rear Suspension

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Baza, Mar 7, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I have a late 2021 STR LRH and looking at the mods on the latest 2023 models, particularly the enhancement of traction control now incorporating lean angle sensing I thought I would look at possibly moving on to the latest version despite the loss of the beautiful tacho. :joy:

So I went and had a look at the new machine. LRH is no longer available but options quoted in the configurator mention a different (thinner?) seat giving a 28mm drop and a further 10mm drop being achieved by a rear suspension linkage adaptation.

Having sat on the bike briefly I reckoned that 10mm was all I needed but the guys in the showroom could not find cost details for the suspension mod. Today I emailed Triumph after sales bods to be told that the suspension mod is only applicable to the RS and not the R.

Frankly, I find this hard to understand and if so they will probably have just lost a new bike sale.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #2 learningtofly, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    I can understand not offering it as a model option - I think that accords with most other marques - and even though I bought the LRH myself I always thought it was strange that it was available as a no-cost factory option. What makes no sense at all is to offer it now as a configuration option on the RS but not the R.*

As an aside (and as a word of warning), I bought the low seat for my Tiger, and took it back for a refund after one ride. Totally unfit for purpose. - it was like sitting on a plank.

*I guess that mystery has now been solved... cheeky gits.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds like typical marketing BS to "help you" buy the more expensive option :rolleyes:

4. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    Hi, this following paragraph is from Bennett’s (Bike Social) pages, the new suspension setups that alter the seat heights – the R’s is up 1mm to 126mm, while the RS is hiked 11mm to 836mm, although there’s a low seat option that cuts 28mm from each model’s height, and for the RS and Moto2 version a suspension lowering kit will bring it down another 10mm

5. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    That suspension lowering kit is a joke as you will see below.

I sought further explanation from the after sales team at Triumph and was advised “ Its not actually a linkage change. The RS and Moto2 edition have a 10mm spacer at the top of the shock to increase the rear ride height and steepen the steering angle for quicker handling on track. The R model being more road focused doesn't have this spacer to start with so it’s not possible to remove it. This is also why the seat height as standard is lower on the R than it is on the RS.”

Which now makes perfect sense of the misnomer, “suspension linkage adjustment”

I may see if the dealer will get the alternative seat in for me to try but will it be as comfortable, will it give adequate flat foot area, is the IMU (I think that’s what it’s called) really worth spending a couple of grand on? Can I put up with that crappy TFT screen. At the moment I think it’s a NO, unless something else crops up to sway the balance.

I know there are possibilities in modifying the length of the “dog bones” or a bespoke rear shock but I have yet to properly investigate those options.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    Take the RS out of this chat as we now know it’s got a spacer fitted etc, I’m not sure why the LRH version isn’t available on the R like previous years, the only answer like your saying is a different seat thickness. When you have spoke to Triumph I take it there’s no way of using the older set up on the new (23) model?
    If they said it’s because of the riding position and ergonomics has been altered that’s why it’s not possible etc etc
    at least you would know, only problem retro fitting your own solution for this May have implications for warranty??
    Hope you can sort one way or another, good luck.

7. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    #7 Baza, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    I think you will find that the seat is exactly the same as the one on the previous gen. I will seek further clarification.

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Baza just get a Lust Racing lowering kit, it comes complete with the sidestand mod as well that looks factory fitted, they are a doddle to fit less that 30min start to finish.

9. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Thanks for the tip. I have emailed Lust Racing but as yet they haven’t bothered to respond. But I did find from the guys at Triumph that my current machine has shorter forks and rear shock than the standard R. So I decided to give up the idea of changing the bike which means I won’t have to look at that bloody awful TFT.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to post your ideas, suggestions etc. Much appreciated.

10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I agree the TFT dash on my 2020 model is awful compared to the 2019 model, I bought both of them new, whilst I really like the improvements on the 20 model that dash layout is a pain.

11. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    #11 Baza, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    You must be talking about the RS model. I’m not familiar with the 2019 TFT and, only guessing here, but expect that your 2020 TFT is very similar to the latest one. The TFT they now fit on the R is even worse.

Below you will see the 2023 RS TFT, the 2023 R TFT and my 2021 LCD and hopefully see why I’m not impressed with the latest displays.

2BEE00C7-37F3-4B0D-A72C-033085567F7A.png

F2074ADC-4F35-4EB6-AFEE-D032039770EF.png

95AD203A-BE35-4458-98B9-0286C30EFEB2.png

Notwithstanding the aesthetics of the displays, the TFT displays, whilst providing functions not available on my LCD display like self cancelling indicators, they appear to be more problematic with connectivity etc and also appear to discourage self maintenance as I understand that if you were to disconnect the battery, on reconnection you will see an error code or icon com up on the display that you will then have to part with some crinkle for the dealer to reset it.

12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Baza yes both are the RS models, I have had a few Speed Triples as well but prefer the Street RS (but not the dash)

13. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    When I bought my R (LRH) I was after the lower seat height and reduced weight as I’m no spring chicken anymore. But at that time the specs of the RS and R engine were so similar it made no sense. Only about 2 bhp from memory. At least with the new RS they have given it another 10 bhp which it always should have had in my view.

14. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    I’ve got the 2023 ST R, and find the dash fine, shows what you need, rev’s, gear selection, and speed, what else do you need?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    A nice big tacho. But this is probably an age related preference.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    A rev counter that's actually in your line of sight rather than you have to look down at it.
    There's been loads of complaints about it ever since it was first released on the 2020 model.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    I suppose it’s like everything, finding what the right fit for you and a bike is. Height and size of the dash has not caused an issue so far but it’s early days.

18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The R model dash is completely different to that of the one fitted to the RS, from 2020 onwards the larger tacho/speedo display etc was discontinued in favour of the one Baza shows in his post, diagram 68, I have mine set to show large tacho/speed for quick and easy viewing, however some information is not displayed in this configuration, personally I don't need the 4 dash colours, multiple dash dimming etc etc, also with this dash a lot may be unaware that unless you disable the recorded speed data, say you had a Police stop suspecting a speeding offence had been committed, at the press of the Joystick (and you can't refuse this request by a Police Officer, otherwise a further more serious offence is committed), all the speeds recorded are revealed via the dash, a very sobering thought, and this function is not unique to Triumph, other manufacturers dashes have the same functions.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    Good insight Iceman, how do you disable the recorded speed data on the R model any ideas?

20. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    #20 Baza, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    That’s a sobering thought. Does the handbook document the speed recording function? Will have to give my handbook a good read to make sure my LCD display doesn’t have this feature.

Are you saying that your 2020 RS has the dash in image 68? If so 68 was copied from the handbook of the 2023 machines so they haven’t change it.

When I bought my 2021 R the dealer told me that they had substituted the TFT display with the LCD display to pay for the installation of the shift assist.

• Like Like x 1