2022 Street Triple Rs Battery Maintenance - Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rich Martin, Nov 23, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Martin

Rich Martin New Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Cotswolds
    Morning All,

I'm new to biking and just picked up a new 2022 Street Triple RS, loving the bike so far.

Its obviously going to be stored (Warm / dry garage) for a little while over winter - as I don't envisage me getting out unless I get the occasional good dry weekend! But I don't have power in the garage.

I bought a CTEK CS FREE to use - as it is essentially a rechargeable battery that I can attach to the bike battery terminals and keeps it topped up. Then every few weeks, I need to disconnect it and recharge the CTEK unit.

Does anyone else use this type of set up, and from what I have seen, the terminals are pretty small on the battery - how do people do this without the ability to connect additional loops for a permanent connection on the bike - this isn't compatible with the CS FREE as it delivers 20A when the accessories are rated to 10A.

Appreciate your help!

Rich

2. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    If it is at all possible I would run power to the garage and use a decent battery tender like an Optimate that does far more than just put some juice into the battery.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rich Martin

Rich Martin New Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Cotswolds
    Thanks. Unfortunately it’s about 125m from the nearest power source to the bike storage. So not really an option until I can make space in the main barn.
    But the Ctek CS FREE is a fully automated top of the line device for maintaining a battery remotely. I was just wondering if anyone else uses it and has a solution!

4. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    Rich no idea about your charger.....but in case you dont know.....a small bike battery needs a low amp charge rate ie less than 1amp....so needs a charger suitable for small bike batts.

My £15 bike batt charger monitor delivers 0.8amp max.

Do you have no mains electricity in your garage???

No idea what you new charger puts out but you scared me when you mentioned it delivers 20amp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rich Martin

Rich Martin New Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Cotswolds
    Tha is for the reply…. The Ctek is designed for this purpose apparently and due to its intelligent nature, it will select the best set up for the battery condition. So it can deliver low levels to top up the battery when conditioning… or a huge boost when needed on a flat battery.
    The info is here and Ctek also confirm it is designed with bike maintenance in mind!

https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/cs-free

6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Rich, it is really very straightforward and easy, what needs to be done is make up an 18-inch length of twin wire (red/black) crimp eye terminals to one end (to go on the battery), remove the ctek crocodile clips and then put male connectors to the wires from the battery and the 2 female connectors to replace the crocodile clips on the ctek, you can then place the wires from the battery under the rear seat pod. You can then connect/disconnect at your leisure. If you don't have any connectors, then your local Halfords store will have what you require. Please remember that when connecting the wires to your battery that you keep finger pressure on the positive lead and the same with the negative, otherwise warning lights will come on the dash, then you will have to take it to the dealer (or use the dealertool if you have one). If you lived nearer, I would offer to do it for you, honestly it only takes 15min all in.

7. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I’ve had the battery out of my 2021 R a number of times to remove the pillion footrests and fit Evotech blanking plates and some purpose made luggage rack hangers. No problems with warning lights coming on, just needed to reset date and time and all was good.

On the subject of the battery terminals and fitting additional leads to the terminals. You may find that with the extra thickness of the terminals the screw will not quite reach the captive nut if it has fallen to the bottom of the battery terminal recess in which it resides. My solution was to snip a small piece of lead sheet that when folded double will just sit under the nut in the recess. Being lead there will be no problem with the screw driving into it when tightening it.

I have fitted one of these and located it under the pillion seat. Just a glance at the LEDs will give an indication as to battery condition. As for connectors to your Ctek I would run with the SAE ones to prevent any possibility of reversing the polarity. You can also get the above lead without the inline fuse but I always fuse any additional connections to the battery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The RS TFT dash and electronics are a lot different to the R and battery disconnection will trigger some warning lights on, the ctek has reverse polarity built in, but using correct red/black wiring it would be very difficult to place + on - or vice versa, the battery leads retaining fasteners on the RS are long enough to take the additional fittings with no problems.

9. Bloodknot

Bloodknot New Member

Jan 18, 2022
    Buckinghamshire
    Ah, had not realised this problem with the TFT screen models. Not being able to swap a battery without involving the dealer is a bit off. I would still stick with the SAE connectors though.

I understand that Dealertool is not available on Macs which is a bummer as I am just about to go over to the Dark Side entirely, having had my fill of Windows hardware and Microsoft software.

10. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Buy a solar battery maintenance charger like car dealerships use. Slap it on the shed roof and run wires inside.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Alternatively, as your bike/battery is new, just run your bike for twenty minutes per week over the winter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #12 Eldon, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    I do similar to you but with an important twist.

Wire the bike positive terminal to a FEMALE bullet via an inline fuse so it has protection from shorting.
    Wire the bike negative terminal to a MALE bullet.

If you use twin cable i e. Two seperate wires in one outer sheath, and cut the ends short then they can't be joined by anyone fiddling.

This lead sits under the seat or side panel, dependent on model, then its just a simple connection to charge.

13. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Your suggestion of alternating the gender of the connectors is exactly what the SAE connector does but all in the single plug.

14. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Excellent suggestion. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    But I have loads of crimp connectors in my box and they are versatile for other needs plus cheap.
    I used to use the optimate supplied twin connector (presumably this is the SAE one you note) but found they suffered quite badly from corrosion. Doing it with normal crimps means any issue I can simply chop it off and add another.

16. Rich Martin

Rich Martin New Member

Nov 23, 2022
    Cotswolds
    Would that be just static? I thought it needed to be ridden for the alternator to recharge the battery?

17. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    The amount of juice produced by the alternator is directly related to engine speed not road speed.

18. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Poster might be familiar with some older bikes that don't charge well at all at idle, some would even discharge at engine idle speeds.

19. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    I went with the 20amp version and it works very well. Keeps my battery fully charged.

Alfie