2022 Speed Twin Fuel Gauge Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by NO2022, Feb 1, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NO2022

NO2022 New Member

Nov 28, 2021
    UK
    Hello, newbie here with a question about the new Speed Twin I have just taken delivery of.

After picking it up from the dealer I was surprised they had put in a full tank of petrol, or so I thought. The digital gauge was reading 8 bars - up until 25 miles in and my bike ran out of petrol, thankfully only a mile or so from my house. The bike was still reading 8 bars even when it's completely empty.

Is this something that will likely correct itself after running the bike for a few miles, or something I should be returning to the dealer to fix?

I'm new to Triumphs having only ever ridden Japanese sports bikes - age and my back had to put a stop to that though.

Thanks for any input.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I've had my '19 for just over a year and my fuel gauge seems to "stick." It hangs at certain levels for a really long time and around the 100 mile mark it goes up and down a few miles for a period of time. I'll ride what I know for certain is like say 10 miles and the gauge won't budge or will only go down like 3 miles. I got just over 4K miles on it and it's been doing this since I first noticed it 3K miles or so ago.

Don't know if this helps but I can say with confidence that something is definitely up these things' fuel gauges. Right now I just deal with it because my last bike was a Harley with no fuel gauge. I just kept track of mileage knowing I got about 110 miles to the tank and another 10 on the reserve. So having a fuel gauge at all is a bit of a luxury to me.

Keep us posted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    If it's brand new then give the dealer a ring and register the fault at least, then if they don't have a solution or it doesn't resolve itself they are already aware. Triumph fuel gauges do seem to have a delay registering full once filled but it should come down with the level in the tank ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    NO2022
    Same as my 2018 i never use the gauge any more just keep the tank full. Mine reads all sorts of levels but never full even when brimming. But its a new bike do some moaning.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I've also noticed that when I fill up my gauge doesn't read quite as high as when I first got her. IIRC it read like 20 or 30 miles higher a year ago when topped off. I forget what it's reading now because I haven't been riding so much due to the weather but I'll keep track next fill-up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NO2022

NO2022 New Member

Nov 28, 2021
    UK
    Thanks for the replies...

I filled it up yesterday and oddly the bars and miles to empty both went down. So now it reads 6 bars and 80 miles to empty with a full tank.

I gave the dealer a shout and asked them to look at it on the first 600 mile free service.

• Like Like x 2
  7. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Also have a brand new 2022 Speed Twin. The bar gauge seems to work fine, but the miles to empty is never shown as more than 75 even after filling up to the brim, and after resetting all mpg metrics on the dash. I've always kept an eye on trip odo on my bikes, as I've never really trusted these flaky bike fuel gauges, so whatever I guess.

• Like Like x 1