2021 Tiger 850 Transmission Fault

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Marty Schumacher, Dec 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marty Schumacher

Marty Schumacher New Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Maryland
    My 2021 Tiger 850 Sport showed a "transmission fault" on the display screen. No transmission issues until last week when the bike stalls as soon as you put it into gear. Also will not start when in gear. Anyone have any incite with this problem?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Side stand switch or clutch lever switch as above. Dealer problem. Stick around, we’re (mostly) a friendly bunch and there’s fun to be had, not just technical help, if ya get my meaning ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Marty Schumacher

Dec 19, 2021
    Maryland
    Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DamonYVR

DamonYVR Member

Dec 2, 2021
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Hmm. I'm no tech wiz at all, but if it stalls when you put it in gear, and the side stand is up, then a faulty switch on the side stand sounds like a likely culprit. Or something at the clutch, as it should start in gear, with the clutch pulled in. These are definitely annoying, but not terminal by any means.

Also, go through the main set up menu, with the right side handlebar switch and make sure that the shift assist setting is off; it shows a transmission fault if that is enabled as it relates to bikes with the quick-shifter installed.

I don't know if that will solve your issue but it is worth checking if you haven't already.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Marty Schumacher
    Welcome to the family. And it seems the inmates have given you all to best solutions. Those micro switch's can be a pain in the posterior and annoying the have to be clean and full operational to keep the things right. Do get your dealer to sort them. And do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show the inmates your steed.
    Joe FB_IMG_1640299862137.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marty Schumacher

Dec 19, 2021
    Maryland
    Thank you. Dealer is fixing the problem. Kickstand issue was an easy fix but unrelated to the transmission fault showing on the screen.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DamonYVR

DamonYVR Member

Dec 2, 2021
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Thanks @Marty Schumacher
    Please let us know what you or they find RE this issue. Most electrical things are interesting to learn about, and we're interested in learning.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Marty Schumacher

Dec 19, 2021
    Maryland
    The "Transmission Fault" on the display was just a reset. Dealer said not to worry about it. Definitely annoying, but I'm glad there is no transmission problem other than a false display.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Silviu

Silviu New Member

Apr 19, 2022
    Zurich
    Hi, it happened to me yesterday. I read on another forum that this usually happens when the battery gets unplugged. The whole system is reset, so now the bike is searching for the quick-shifter and throws that error because there is none installed. You can go into the menu, and disable the quickshifter. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Silviu

• Like Like x 1