2020 Street Twin Mods

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Sage Craver NREMT, Mar 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boy am I excited to be posting this, I'm coming to y'all from the great state of Texas and I just bought a new Street Twin. I'm looking to really make it unique. The NRC tail tidy is arriving today, and I'll be looking at the NRC front blinkers soon. But I'm wondering if anybody can recommend any great mods. All are welcome, but in specific, morrors, security locks, bike covers, tailbags, obd2 readers, or exhausts.
    Also any bike specific advice would be great. I just came from a HONDA CBR300 and the learning curve is wild, other than the torque just not having a 6th gear is pretty interesting. Also that fan coming off the radiator is mean.
    Ill post pictures from the NRC fender eliminator mod when I install in a day.
    I'm also a 911 EMT, so feel free to ask any motorcycle safety related questions, I handle many critical and fatal crashes and love to share evidence based safety tips .

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Welcome in mr/mrs excited!
    As you say, all smiles from here on in!

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    Welcome. Street twin is an excellent choice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Welcome to the fold. I have a Street Scrambler and the 900cc lump is nice motor. Suspension mods seem to be popular but see how you get on with yours. Hope you've all thawed out it Texas, some Winter storm that was!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thank you! I was also looking at the YAMAHA XSR900 but Europian steel won over Japanese plastic.

7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. It was spooky, but I recently moved from Pennsylvania and was prepared. A lot of motor vehicle accidents though, a disproportionate amount of deaths. Austin was not prepared whatsoever with snow plows or salt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cory78

Cory78 New Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Boise ID
    I don't have any mods for you, but I'd love to hear how you are feeling about your new bike. I've been considering the street twin, the trident, and xsr700. I agree with you about European steel vs Japanese plastic. The xsr and the street twin both seem like they would be great bikes for modding and the trident just seems like a lot of fun. What has your initial impression been after riding the ST?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Sage and welcome to the forum :cool: Good introduction and best wishes with your mods on your new ride. Looking forward to seeing your updates

• Like Like x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy SC :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Street Twin is a smooth and strong machine, it has buttery suspension and a powerful front brake. It sounds so, so pretty. It's rain mode I have found to be tremendously useful. When I open it up in road mode the power is dangerously delightful but the badass no windscreen style comes at a cost. Above 70mph the wind pushes you rearward. And at 110mph that becomes a force you have to actively and constantly struggle with like I have not before on Jap bikes. Overall i would not make the mistake of comparing thisto the xsr700, it is a much more powerful bike, and can take you it's desired destination and not yours if you get complacent. I would say that this is a better bike than the XSR line.

13. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Welcome , Bienvenue.
    The Street Twin is much more stylish comapred to the XSR.

14. New Rage Cycles tail tidy, Tip: if you install the license plate mount backwards and flip the mount for the plate, it tucks your plate further in.

100_0505-01.jpeg

100_0506-01.jpeg

100_0508-01.jpeg

100_0512-01.jpeg

100_0509-01.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    That kind of plate is street legal where you live?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  17. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum

gump (1).gif

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Sage and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 Sage Craver NREMT, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2021
    Not "LEGAL" but it is acceptable in real everyday riding. I have been riding for years, been stopped twice with a tucked plate, never got in trouble about the plate. and the officer barly mentioned it once in a casual way. If you are driving smart and conduct yourself well most officers will give you breathing room with the law. It's important that it's clean and we'll lit so that it's plainly visable from a distance. That's all they care about. If it's hard for them to see 20 yards back, and your poping wheelies and speeding, or you argue and give them a hard time, just have lots of money you don't need set aside for all the extra violations the officer will find.

• Like Like x 1
  20. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Never heard of suspension being described as 'buttery'. Is that a good thing? The two most dramatic changes I made to my Street Twin, that made the most difference, were to dump the original tyres (there's a mountain of info about that elsewhere on this forum) and bin the rear shocks for something that actually does what rear shocks are supposed to. The originals are cheap and nasty. Interesting that you also commend the front brake. I have a 2017 model, so it hasn't got the upgraded Brembo caliper. My front brake took some getting used to as initially I was surprised at how poor it was. The ST weighs around 220kgs with a full tank and trying to stop that in a hurry from 80+ mph could really do with another disk. I'm glad they seem to have addressed that issue.
    Another mod I would highly recommend is to get rid of the catalytic convertor. That definitely sharpened up the throttle response. All the rest of my mods are cosmetic and therefore subjective..but they are of course extremely tasteful and better than everyone else's :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1