2020 Speed Triple Rs First Oil Change Question

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Gitter, Jan 13, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    Hey all,

Did some poking around and just wanted to make sure I have the process correct for my first oil change as it seems a touch different from the usual.

Drain oil
    Replace plug with fresh crush washer
    Fill oil (10-40 or 10-50 depending) 3.2 LT
    Install new filter
    Turn on motorcycle for a few seconds
    Check oil and top up as needed

So here are my two main questions..
    1. Prime the oil filter or no? Does it make a difference (other than the amount of oil I top up with when done)?

2. I know Castrol is preferred by Triumph, but how touchy are these motors/gearboxes to other oils? Been using Motul for a long time and am somewhat of a creature of habit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Your procedure is fine, install the new filter before filling with oil. Fill to top of sight glass, then run for a minute or two. Stop allow 5- 10 minutes, check oil level and top up.

There is no need to prime the oil filter but I usually do as it gets the oil around the engine quicker.

Motul oil will be fine provided that you use the correct grade, probably fully synthetic.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    I think you're correct on the JASO spec. Motul 7100 4T has been by go to for a while now. That said, this is my first triumph so I figured it was worth posing the question.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    #4 SteveRS, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    If you follow this procedure here by Sam, your bike will probably not start. Please, don’t anyone follow the above procedure on a 2018 to present speed triple. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but the speed RS has a unique oil change procedure, that if you don’t follow could end in your bike not running. The speed also doesn’t have a sight glass. It’s a dip stick. I’m not sure which motorcycle you’re talking about regarding your above oil change procedure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That is perfect Sir. I always prime the filter with oil, probably don’t have to but I’d like to do it. You can check with your dealer as far as the make of oil , but it won’t matter they can’t make you run a certain manufacturers oil.

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just double check if the dip stick should be screwed all the way in or resting on the top to check the level

My 2010 Speed Triple requires said dipstick to be screwed fully in.
    - Last time I had my a Speed Triple serviced, the Triumph dealer filled it with the dipstick resting on top, fortunately I check their work when I get home and had to syphon over a pint/litre using a syringe - that was a few years ago and I haven't used a garage since

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I knew there was a specail procedure I though it was for this bike.I didnt remember what it was. Doesnt doing it wrong cause an EML cause of an air bubble or does it not start?

8. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    use this.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    Ok so the revised tech bulletin is what I saw when I was poking around, awesome.
    As far as priming the filter, that's always been common practice for me when feasible. Is there any way that could cause the same air bubble issue? Or am I overthinking it at this point...

10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    There has been no mention of an issue if the filter is primed or not. I’ve done many oil changes with a primed filter with no issues. I guess you could check with your dealer, but I doubt it’s a problem. Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    The oil pressure light comes on in some cases and it won't go off.
    I'd find that worrying if faced with that and that's why i'm still going to take mine in and get them to do it.
    I've always done the oil/fluid changes myself but potentially knackering up the engine isn’t worth it imo.
    I know it's expensive for a pretty simple (or should be...) job but if they knacker it, new engine that they pay for.
    If I do it, holy crapballs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    If you have done an oil change on a bike, this is no problem. Your not launching a space shuttle, just a slight different process. Just add the correct amount of oil then put the filter in and add the rest. It’s that simple.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Sorry for the hijack but I am doing an oil change on my 2014 Speedy this weekend. I take it mine is a good old fashioned drain, fit new filter and refill job?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Really puts you off buying these modern bikes. I dont want to know I am going to need a pit crew. Same with all the rider aids.
    If I had the money I might get the quick shifter and the traction controls, and the modes but Id still want to have a bike without.

15. Johnboy18

Johnboy18 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2021
    the moon
    If you have a 2020RS, did the dealer not offer your first service for free, or at least labour free? I had my first service done for free but had to pay for oil / parts used.
    also how about the warranty? Are they ok with you working on it yourself or do they insist on the dealer doing the work ?
    Just curious as i assumed the work on my 2020RS had to be carried out by the dealer .

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Agree. I can imagine a warranty claim going south if the service schedule isn’t maintained for the logbook for the 2 year period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I changed my own oil and filter at first service, mainly because we were in lockdown but just to clear up some confusion . . . .
    The 2018 RS onwards does have a specific oil change procedure and requires the oil to be filled WITHOUT the filter fitted. This is because the oil pump is prone to developing an airlock so that when the bike is started, the oil pressure light comes on and doesn't go off . . until 10 seconds later, when your engine is toast!!!!
    The procedure is
    Drain old oil and remove old filter
    Replace sump plug
    Refill with correct quantity of oil
    Refit new filter, with or without first priming it.

I suspect it is good policy to first prime the filter as the oil pump will have to pump less oil before pressure is reached, even if only a momentary issue. That said, let us not forget that many Triumph models have the filter mounted off the front of the bike which precludes priming . . as does my S1K and so this alone would suggest it isn't particularly important.
    I was very dubious about the above procedure but confirm it does allow you to add the full 3 litres plus without it pishing out of the oil filter housing . . . to prevent confusion, I now use this procedure on each of my bikes!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    Went ahead and did my 500 mile oil change using the method described in this thread. Everything went fine, no leaks and oil light went out almost immediately. Took about 3.5L (with filter)

• Like Like x 2
  19. kpax

kpax New Member

Jul 23, 2021
    Anderson, South Carolina
    Thanks for that info! Who knew?
    No lights after reading this before the oil fill.

• Like Like x 1