2019 Speed Triple Rs Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Paul haigh, Dec 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    Good evening everyone, just had something strange happen with my bike. My Speed RS is only 2 months old and is always kept in my conservatory when not in use. I was sitting watching TV and thought someone was trying to steal the bike as I could hear it turning over. I dashed out to the bike and found that the dash was still off but the bike was trying to start itself. The key was also switched off and when I last parked the bike up I set the alarm. I had to remove the battery cover and disconnect the battery to stop the starter motor. If I connect the battery it tries to start itself again. Triumph assist have been notified and I am waiting a visit tonight. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Thanks

• WTF WTF x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: GET OUT :eek:
    ITS A FECKIN GHOST :skull::poop::skull::poop::p

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    :eek: WHAT THE..... :eek: never heard of such a thing.... must be spirit of Xmas future who wants to ride it...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    They are now coming in the morning. Will update If they find anything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michael Haigh

Michael Haigh New Member

Dec 17, 2019
    London
    Hiya bruv. Don’t start nicking bits of my speed RS, just cos you bought the one made on a Friday afternoon lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    Update.
    Had Triumph Assist out this morning, well the RAC who don't have a clue when it comes to the bike. He had no tooling or fault code readers for the bike. Reconnected the battery and starter spun for a second or 2 before stopping. Bike started OK but service light was on. I had to show him how to navigate through the menu and he reset the service light. Don't know why it came on as not long had a service. He even admitted he knows nothing about bikes. He has reffered back to manufacturer.
    So I'm kind of stuck as dealer is now shut for Christmas and new year so looks like I won't be out riding this holiday break.
    Pretty disappointed at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Haigh

Michael Haigh New Member

Dec 17, 2019
    London
    I’ll sell you my R1

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Sorry to hear your issue.

All these Triumph or Ducati assist appears to be same sort of thing.
    Must be fairly major to sort of bypass the clutch and side stand switch not to mention start button.

Hope it’s resolved soon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Paul Haigh.
    Wow. If you have the keyless ignition just be careful some little creep is not around trying to see what he can start. Or perhaps its conflicting with some other device you have there. And of course welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right and show the inmates the naughty steed.
    Happy Christmas.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KENNETH POWELL

KENNETH POWELL New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Southport
    Could be stuck solenoid that's what it sounds like to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tim8061

tim8061 Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Gloucester
    Deffo - either a short is providing power to the solenoid causing it to energise, or the contacts are shorting/sticking so it's powering the starter motor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. KENNETH POWELL

KENNETH POWELL New Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Southport
    Engine management light comes on because you disconnected the battery that's normal

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    Update. Got to take bike in to triumph on Saturday for diagnostics so hopefully have an answer.
    Took the bike out for a few hours a couple of days ago and is running fine although service light has come on again. I'll update Saturday. Thanks for the input.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    Update:
    Triumph had the bike for a couple of weeks and found nothing so just need to keep an eye if the problem happens again. Triumph Hinkley have never had this issue before either so if it happens again ill take a quick video before disconnecting battery.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    The saga continues,
    Got the bike out Thursday night for an early start Friday morning, no problems bike is running fine. 5:30 Friday morning I uncover the bike and turn the alarm off, only 3 indicators light up. Hmmm strange. Try to turn the bike on and nothing, "ffs" try the alarm fob again this time all 4 indicators light up so I try the power button again. Nothing, totally blank screen except for the red led flashing at the top. I try this a few times but nope, this bike is having none of it. I wheel the bike back into my garden and cover her up.
    I get back at arou d 18:30 Friday evening and decide to film the whole thing from unlocking my back door to uncovering the bike. I turn the key fob and disarm the bike, no problems with the indicators this time. Press the power button and the bike lights up, hold the clutch and start the bike. Absutely fine the bike runs. Having to take the bike back to triumph again as there is Definately an electrical fault for on this bike.
    Seriously thinking of backing the bike under the consumer act as the bike is unfit for purpose. I never know if its goi g to start or not. No confidence in the bike now. Can anyone advise on the consumer returns. The bike is not quite 4 months old. Thanks

16. Nobsta

Nobsta New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Bromley
    Just a thought, do you live near a mobile phone mast? They used to be prone to blocking remote key signals stopping people decoding their cars!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Paul haigh

Paul haigh New Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Colchester
    No mate but thanks for the thought. Triumph Gb have said they think it might be a faulty switch cube so a new one is on the way for my dealer to replace and see how that goes.

• Like Like x 1