2019 Scrambler 1200 Xe - High Revs And No Power?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RebelHawk, Jul 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    On a quick morning ride yesterday I noticed that when I accelerated hard in any gear my tach would jump to 7000 RPM hang there for a couple of seconds and then drop back to 3 - 4k range and then I would have all the power I would expect. From there the revs would climb normally, as soon as I shifted and throttled hard again the same thing would happen. Being out on a short ride I came back home and figured I would sort it out today.

I picked a nice long back road this morning (see gratuitous image below) and worked through all the gears from 2 - 6 in Road, Sport and Rain mode. In each mode and every gear I had the same thing happen. As soon as I shifted and accelerated hard the RPMs would spike to 7k with no power being applied to the rubber, hang for a couple of seconds and then drop to 3 - 4k and normal acceleration and power and RPM climb until I shifted again. I dropped the bike off with the dealer this morning and they hope to get to it in the next couple of days. Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_2420.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Slipping clutch???
    I hope that it is only adjustment on a bike of this age

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Are you hitting a rev limiter? Because your in the red at 7k.

4. RebelHawk

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    The rev limit on the 1200XE is 7500 so it's certainly right there at it if not hitting it.

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    This
    Check your clutch cable adjustment, there should be 2-3mm play on the clutch lever before any resistance

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. RebelHawk

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    Closing this thread out. After taking my bike to the shop and leaving it with them for over three weeks, I just got it back. I can't blame them for the service delay as I told them I was in no hurry to get it back (I had full knee replacement the week after I dropped it off and still can't ride). I wasn't able to pick the bike up myself and had the shop deliver it so I didn't get to ask exactly what happened. The notes on my invoice were the clutch lever and collar were replaced as they were sticking. Repairs were covered under warranty. Now to get my physical therapy finished so I can get cleared and back on the bike as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Get well soon Rebel hawk.

• Agree Agree x 1