2019. Grand Meet Up. Location Suggestion Poll.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sprinter, Jul 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Where should it be?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2018.
  1. North

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. South

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. East

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. West

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Ireland

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. Central

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  7. Isle of Man

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #1 Sprinter, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    This is just a bit of fun.
    West, is Wales area
    North ,is Scotland
    Central, is North England
    Isle of Man is out with any Event on the Island.

You get two choices, poll closes in seven days.You can change your vote. Editing like a dervish.
    I heard ideas of going back to Scotland.
    ( I think) This is depended on whether or not there is a possibility of a, Second Annual Scottish Tour.
    Ireland was mentioned.
    Please also put forward any suggestions you may have.

https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry...tZbYsumsVAhc7k9we8043fwsgNBIkMfhoCCloQAvD_BwE

• Like Like x 1
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I don't think the north, south, east and west works for everybody, as the travel distances are extreme for lots of folk. I've voted for Ireland which means that most will have to travel similar distances (apart from @Havit, @Mark slattery and @andyc1 et al). The only other real option is for the central belt of the country. Alternatively alternate the location from N,S,E and W so that the travelling is fair to all over the various GMU's....
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Trouble with Ireland for the majority, the cost of the ferry could be a turn off so should be kept as a “special”, although I’d love to go. If someone can find somewhere in the south that has little to no traffic then I’d be up for that, but my vote went north and east

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep understand that cost might be an issue...
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I know there was concerns regarding numbers due to ferry costs to Ireland.
    It costs around €100 return less in Stirling . There was also talk of including a day at the Road Racing which is cheap enough at around 20 quid.

The votes would give some sort of idea of the interest. If not we can do it as a Irish Trip and not a GMU

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Aah! I thought the ferry was a lot more than that!

8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #7 Dougie D, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    i've voted for Ireland and it shows up as only one person has voted for ireland?:confused:..i think there was talk about having a seperate Ireland trip similar to the Scottish trip..i'd be up for that

• Like Like x 4
  9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    It depends on deals Steve, Leave it late and they sting you, In a car its A wicked price. Motorbike can be up to €95 one way but you just have to watch for deals .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    does East or West mean England Wales Or Scotland?:confused:

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i was £35.00 each way IIRC to Ireland

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    South is out for me for that reason, all the rest have less traffic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Ive editted a bit.

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

What about the Isle of Man?
    But not when one of the big events is on?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Liverpool Dublin is the most expensive route as Andy will tell you, Your better off either Scotland to Belfast/Larn, Holyhead to Dublin or Fishguard/Pembroke to Rosslare, Jaffa has accommodation available from both Fishguard and Pembroke if anyone is going to Ireland at very cheap rates if you phone his wife and tell her your with the Forum. If anyone is going to Ireland the number is 07920474511

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I would definatly be up for a combined GMU and a Day at a Roadrace.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Too many separate trips could risk splitting the groups, (like my soup) I can only go to so many,and few could go to them all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Ive added that too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I realise it's a change to the current format but what about having a permanent central location every year for the GMU for everyone to meet up that's relatively easy/cheap to get to?
    Then smaller non-GMU sub trips to places like Scotland, Ireland Wales etc?

A number of other clubs do it this way and it works quite well....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Jeeeesussssss :scream:, No even finished unpacking, bike still covered in flies !!!!!!

Can we no bask in the glory of GMU18 before we think about the next one? Seriously thinking of locking this pointless thread.

The location will be down to the person who steps up and is willing to put a proposal in for next years event, and is willing to organise bunkhouse, routes etc. (Jez and James seem to have the logistics of feeding/watering us sorted already),

i.e. - If your poll decideds it's going to be Ireland, that's you volunteering Wayne to organise it! not fair. You are in danger of no one stepping up if you restrict it to a specific area!!!!

Wayne might well do it, but I think it is better that the organiser is willing to go out, find a bunkhouse with all the amenities local (this is the hard part) and then organise routes, and not be forced when he/she might not really want all the hassle and prefer just to turn up and enjoy (the better opotion, I assure you :p)

I think we should leave it a sensible period of grace, then ask for proposals. IIRC, I offered to do 2017 and no real other options suggested (so it was the choice), 2018 was a choice between returning to Bellingham, Green Welly or Wales. Once folk saw how it was done (expertly by me :laughing:), it is less of a challenge. Now we have 2 full events (and Buxton) under our belts, hopefully more idiots , sorry, volunteers will be willing to have a go. Myself, Mick and Ade will help anybody daft enough to try. Don't ask when and where, just put a proposal together for where you choose and on what date/s you are free to run it.

If anyone fancies running next year, get your thinking caps on now, find a bunkhouse first, ask previous organisers their opinions and any advice, and have a plan when the request for GMU2019 goes out. Bellingham is a benchmark location, but we saw how to run an event at a place that didn't have local amenities, it is possible, as proven by this year the brilliant event run by Mick, Ade and helped along by James, Jez and Andy. Even with a local shop, the food and beer was done so well this year, I can't why we would not repeat, if all parties willing to step up again.

- SO GO OUT AND FIND A BUNKHOUSE AND
    SOME KICK-ASS ROADS
    FOR US ALL TO PLAY ON NEXT YEAR.

Sorry for the essay and the teacher voice, but felt it had to be said.:pensive:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  22. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    If somebody said "eh up lads, am thinkin bout organising next years GMU at Bellingham", I'd vote for that. It was the ideal set up in terms of bunkhouse, hotels, pubs, shop, cafe, superb roads, we just didn't have the weather. We all keep saying that don't we ?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  23. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

For many the ride to and from is part of the experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1