Featured 2019 Dragon Rally

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by speeder, Feb 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Just completed my 32nd dragon, this time on a speed triple, after over 20 years on BMW twin's.
    The first 150 miles to Kidderminster was in torrential rain, after we got through there the road to our first overnight stop at Ellesmere was dry, time to put the speedy through some bends and see what it could do ....first impressions were very favourable, the sheer punch coming out of a bend on the throttle was impressive.
    After a very pleasant stop at the pub, we set off again for capel curig through the superb snowdonia country side, and lovely twisting A5 ...not the road it used to be as they have straightened out some of the tighter bends but it is still a challenge on a bike an I loved pushing on through them.
    After checking in we proceeded to the site which was the usual muddy field.
    The atmosphere and beer consumption was terrific....but so was the mud! Bikes were getting bogged down all over the place.
    Sunday we packed up and hit the road for the 250 mile ride home to Dorset (feeling a bit worse for wear) weather was showery but generally OK.
    A quick stop at Kidderminster for lunch followed by a blast down th M5 saw us home at 4.30, dirty and very tired.
    So what did I make of the speed triple for long distance winter riding?
    Well not as bad as me and my mates thought it would be: Plenty of power, reasonable comfort but of course limited luggage potential, l only had a tank bag and back pack....OK for a weekend bu no good for serious touring without modifications.
    I found the combination od handlebar muffs and heated grips great, my hands were warm and dry for the whole trip and my "loobman"chain oiler also works well .
    All in all a great bike, i can see why people love them so much, nimble handling and loads of power, not really designed for what I tried to make it do, but that is one of the virtues of the ST, it is capable of being modified to turn it into whatever you want.

WP_20190210_13_29_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_12_47_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20190210_12_14_35_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looks like fun mate :)
    I’ve never done the dragon Rally before but have been looking on YouTube and I just have to do it :)
    Hopefully I’ll be there next year :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Does that mean Nudger will be getting dirty? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Great report speeder.

I know you Dragon Rally regulars have put up with some poor weather over the years,,,hats off to you mate :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Dilli do you mean to say your going to take Nudger out of the country :eek:;):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    The dragon is a funny thing....every year l get home absolutely knackered and think that will be the last, but the October comes around and all the guys start saying "come on,you can do one more"
    I'm 65 next month and doing it on the triumph this year was really satisfying and more challenging.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’ll wash off :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

First ride me and NUDGER had was into Wales for last years GMU :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Yes but that was without the ton of scrap mild steel wrapped around its rear end ;);):)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Tough man.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    Only done the Dragon once - back in 1971. All I remember is beer, mud huge bonfire and diabolical weather. Great fun all round.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Not much different now Baben, but they stopped the bonfires years ago "elf n safety innit"
    i first started in '75 and went on to 1980 then had a 12 year break due to mortgage and family etc.
    started again in '92 and been doing it ever since. Sinking into a hot bath after getting home is absolute bliss!
    you'll have fire the bike up and re-visit your youth on the 2020 rally!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1