2018 Speedmaster High Bars Cable Kit

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by miner999r, Dec 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. miner999r

miner999r Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Sask. Canada
    I am looking at putting my old Harley bars on my Speedmaster and am in the process of purchasing the cable kit, which has wiring extensions for the handlebar switches and a front brake line extension.

A couple of questions regarding anyone's experience with the cable extensions kit. Also is the installation of the brake line extension straightforward with a fluid refill and bleed? I've downloaded the Triumph instructions for the kit and there is no mention of procedure to add fluid / bleed the front brakes.

I know I have to drill a 10mm hole for the throttle side and there may or may not be a bit of fun with the bar ends.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi miner99r,
    I have recently installed the Triumph High Handlebar kit, and my kit came with 13 pages of instructions. On page 4 of 13, it does instruct one to drain the master brake cylinder. I had not done that before so, I followed the instructions carefully and all worked out well.

I did have a problem with the dimple on the throttle grip. In the end, I ground the dimple off, and then could adjust the position of the right grip assembly to suit the angle for optimum use of brake lever. Also just so you know, the stock Triumph Beach Bars, that came with the bike, had a decent length from bend to bar end, allowing the throttle to move properly. Some handlebars, don't have the length so it could be a problem as the throttle get stuck at the bend. Hope I have explained that ok. Hope that helps a bit.

LB

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. miner999r

miner999r Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Sask. Canada
    Thank you for the information BonnieRed. I was / am a bit paranoid about screwing up the ABS system, so you information is encouraging me to give this mod a shot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Another thing was removal of the gas tank. I recommend to ride the bike till the tank is almost empty. The trick is to lift the rear of the tank up until you can disconnect the fuel line. It is a special connector. It has a sliding lock on the connection. The instructions only refer to using your service manual to remove the tank. I have a Haynes Manual for the 2017 Bobber, and basically it is the same as for the Bonneville Speedmaster. Once the tank is off, then you have access to the front brake line connection and all the electrical connections for handlebar controls.

The ABS is not affected. The only brake line that needs to be removed is the right front brake line. The left is untouched. Brake fluid is deadly on paint, so I would take extra care using lots of blankets around the tank and any other surfaces that might get some brake fluid on them.

The job is a little nerve racking, if you have never done anything like that before, but just take it slow, and think everything through before doing. I could not have done it without the instructions and the service manual.

Here is the youtube video I used to get an idea on how to remove the tank. It is 2012 but you get the idea.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. miner999r

miner999r Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Sask. Canada
    Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand