Featured 2018 Speedmaster - 1,000 Miles In

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Beerman, May 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beerman

Beerman Guest

#1 Beerman, May 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
    After my 1st 1,000 miles (not much, I grant) my feedback on this bike is as follows:

1. It looks amazing - but somewhat smaller 'in the flesh' than you'd think. That's good for me - I don't want unnecessary weight, and this machine is already 250kgs.
    2. It's easy to ride - cornering, throttle response, torque curve are all good.
    3. I find it comfortable. The pegs are midway rather than forward, and easy to get used to.
    4. There is some criticism of the beach bars - I get that, at first there is a bit of wrist ache, but you get used to it.
    5. Some say the rider seat is uncomfortable - I bought the comfort seat, and find it pretty plush. The pillion seat is a pin cushion - fortunately for me not an issue, but it is for some.
    6. Performance is good, and the sound is great. Clutch control is good, no issues with shifting. I've read about 'snatchy' shifts in 'road' mode (rather than rain) at low rpm, but haven't experienced that.
    7. The stock mirrors do a good job - visibility is excellent.
    8. Based on reading other reports, I am paranoid about rust. It feels like I'm proofing all metal parts all the time - probably way OTT, but looks are one of the attractions of this bike.
    9. The finish is excellent.
    10. If you get the panniers (as I have) they don't really allow for a pillion.
    11. The stock touring screen does not prevent buffeting and may increase it - it's a bit low. I'm ok with it, but it could be better.
    12. Brakes are fine, though I find the rear a bit spongy. Twin Brembos up front offset that somewhat.
    13. The electronics are fine, though I don't really use them much, and I don't do cruise control. The LED lights are excellent.
    14. In common with other makes, servicing becomes more of a pain as the dealer network shrinks.

When I bought this bike, my other 'choice' would have been the Guzzi California touring, which is, IMHO, a beautiful looking machine - but 350kgs of weight. That would have driven me nuts.

Do I love it? Yes, I have grown to love it. Early on, its imperfections annoyed me a bit - its an expensive bike. But it looks great and performance is fantastic. I would recommend it depending on what you're looking for and I'd buy it again - it's a wonderful machine. But it won't be right for everybody, and a test ride is really important given the cost of this bike. If the Cali manages to lose 100kg I might have to think about it, but there is as much likelihood of that as me losing 20kg.

I hope that's of interest to anyone looking at this bike.

Beerman

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:mad:GRRRRRR :mad:

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Keep your eyes peeled Dilli..there's a few folk who are unhappy with the pillion pin cushion who'll do a good trade given half a chance!

Beerman

• Like Like x 3
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Thanks, good insight.
    The thing is, I bought my America for the specific reason - to bimble around, taking it easy two up. This new light cruiser seems to be built more for the bearded lifestyle's, than for actual two up light touring, with a bit of style.
    Looks like I'll be looking for another America.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Triumph brings out a new model next year based on this bike but better geared up for long distance two up touring and with the name America :p

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I hope so. I am too poor to buy new (hate the pcp concept), so would be a few years down the line, but yeah, I would buy a proper LT version of it. Need to improve the look of that back end a wee bit, tho!;):p

• Like Like x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Got two cars on PCP so me and the Mrs can get to work :confused:
    Can’t justify getting a bike like that because at the end of the day it’s a toy and you can’t really do anything with them :( I asked about fitting a tow bar for my trailer and Triumph said NO :( it would invalidate any warranty :mad:
    So no sale to me and like you I’m gonna have to wait until all the rich people have finished with them and moved onto the latest must have :rolleyes:
    Bitter?....moi....nah just poor :sob:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Beerman good assessment of the 2018 speedmaster. I've done circa a 1000 miles on mine and love it, good handling, sounds amazing and yes attracts lots of attention when parked....... I agree it is a small bike which is definitley emphasised whem parked alongside my Thunderbird LT.
    Wessa
    DSC08132 #2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Dilli, I think that's a perfectly sensible observation. At some point this bike starts to make a lot of sense to more people at a lower price point: that's real life. You're right - it's a toy.

Beerman

• Like Like x 2
  10. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Wessa, beautiful Thunderbird... which begs thequestion: which do you prefer to ride, and why?

Beerman

11. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    Interesting post, confirms again for me this is no 2up solution , I find it strange Triumph have released it, as it fills a very niche sort of day trip 2up bike bobber style and don't be travelling further together.

Beerman, like you been looking at the Cali, lovely looking bike, very tempted but the weight does stop me at present as I use my bike for urban commuting as well as weekend fun and tours. My America does the jack of all trades really well in my opinion whilst looking great.

Guzzi now have a 850cc air cooled engine producing 80bhp in their soon to be released enduro bike. Now put that in a new cruiser or V9 and that may be a no brainer for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Funny enough I did weed the drive today... :grinning::grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well Beerman that is a real difficult one, both bikes are superb in their own different ways. The Speedmaster is comfortable and light in urban riding, and does go well when on the open road. I've not toured on it yet, so cannot comment on its long distance touring capabilities. The T'bird is perfect for touring, with loads of luggage capacity. I've been into Europe a number of times and did the perimeter of Ireland last year. Very comfortable and no problems covering big miles day after day. Whilst it does work in urban situations it is a heavy beast at slow speeds. So to answer your question I love them both. To be honest since getting the Speedmaster I have written it the most and this likely to continue unless I have a reason to cover a longer distance ride, then the T'bird will most definitely be my choice of bike.....
    Wessa

14. rob bignell

rob bignell New Member

May 8, 2018
    Isle of Wight
    Hi beerman.....agree with your appraisal..... im 600 miles in to my speedy.....came from a 2015 america LT...... i would add though that the panniers are too small, and the small tank could be an issue... around 130 mile for a full tank.....
    Going to Normandy for a week in early June so will get more of a feel for the bike after that.....