2018 Speed Triple Rs Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Chin4_Man, May 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chin4_Man

Chin4_Man New Member

May 4, 2019
    Around the world
    Hey everyone, i'm having some oil consumption issues. I bought the bike preowned with 1100km, when i picked it up with the first service already done (i got it from another triumph dealer away from my city).
    After riding it for 700km i checked my oil and it wasn't showing on the dipstick so i topped it up with 600ml.
    And today i am at almost 3000km with again the same issues, i just topped it up again with 608ml of oil.
    Is it normal that this bike burns so much engine oil? Also i noticed when i rev it, when it reaches over 5000rpm the exhaust fumes has a little hint of grey smoke, and my silencer tips once cleaned they get black after 20km.

Also my friend said that my bike was smelling bad when i was riding infront of them...

From my misurations it's burning around 600ml/1000km.

I check the oil with the bike on the paddock stand, with the engine cold for at least 24h, i start the engine, leave it for 3 minutes at idle and then stop it for 5 minutes, and check the oil level, the dipstick is fully screwed it aswell, so i think my readings are accurate.

Any help?

2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi dude and welcome.

No this is not normal...... I suggest you take it back to the dealer.

Pete

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chin4_Man

Chin4_Man New Member

May 4, 2019
    Around the world
    I'm very disapponted... Next Tuesday i have an appointment from my local dealer for an oil and filter change (and of course i i need to pay 140€ for it).
    And then they will close the cap so that i can't remove it for checking the oil level and every 1000km i i need to show up at the dealer for letting them check the oil level, and then they will judge if the engine is burning oil or not... And of course the warranty will cover the repairs, but without giving me any loan /replacementbike...

4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    This isn't normal, I never have to top up my oil, between services (2016 speedy)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Be sure to get in writing that you’re NOT responsible for any damage caused by an oil shortage... just to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    That’s insane...

7. Chin4_Man

Chin4_Man New Member

May 4, 2019
    Around the world
    I just called Triumph Italy (not my local dealer) and they said that if the engine damage is cause by oil shortage is covered by the warranty...
    Let's see next tuesday and i'm gonna report you guys back after 1000km...

No loan/replacement bike and it will take months (my local dealer said) since it's a bad timing for repairs since the season is starting...

Hopefully it's gonna get fixed, otherwise bye Triumph, great bike but not a little bit reliable... I had a fork leak (which it resolved by itself) and a front brake reservoir leak (and i tried to reseat the cap, and we will see if it leaks)

8. Arno triple

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Fingers crossed, hope they can fix it quickly ...

9. Chin4_Man

Chin4_Man New Member

May 4, 2019
    Around the world
    My old 2017 SV650 was ridden hard in 25000km never had any issues, not a single drop of oil was burned...
    Probably the triumph was ridden hard during the first 1000km break-in from the first owner...

10. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    It’s generally the opposite actually. Bikes that are ridden with an easy break in can lead to the piston rings not seating properly and the result is oil consumption. My demo Street Triple consumes oil, not that much though. My Speed was broken in hard and burns no oil. Hope you get the issue sorted.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    What does it mean "hard"?
    You did not follow the break-in procedure in the service book?
    What if something happens before the first service, and the dealer tells you it is your fault because you did not follow the break-in procedure? I am pretty certain the dealer can read the rpms of the bike over time.

12. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    What does it mean "hard"?
    You did not follow the break-in procedure in the service book?
    What if something happens before the first service, and the dealer tells you it is your fault because you did not follow the break-in procedure? I am pretty certain the dealer can read the rpms of the bike over time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I have no idea if they can read the rpm data or not, and I don’t care. I wanted to break in the bike the best way I believe it should be, based on credible data that supports such a break in. So no I didn’t follow the break in procedure. I discussed this at the dealer when I picked up the bike, and they had no issue with that. Some dealers might so that could be an issue. As far as what “hard” means, here is a link to the process. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm Besides the IED quickshifter, the bike has had 0 issues and no detectable oil consumption at all. Im sure not everyone would be comfortable with this type of break in and that fine, to each their own.

• Like Like x 3
  14. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    I have never followed the manufacturers rev limit either when buying a new bike. not sure if same website i read back in the day, but it was something like this i read, and make perfect sense to me... it is also a lot more fun!
    when i bought my new fireblade 10 year ago, the dealer actually told me to ride it however i wanted, just to avoid lugging(i think that is the right term) the engine .
    I have never had any issues with the engine on any of my bikes... at least while i owned them ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Right on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Well, I did follow the manual, meaning no full throttle, no lugging, no constant rpm in one gear.
    I did ride a lot of hills and bends, in various gears, using engine braking downhill (that "vacuum" creation in the cylinders).
    After 1000km I have no soot in the tailpipes, I think the rings set properly.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The RS is an expensive purchase so I don’t blame you for following the manual. In the end you have to do what you feel comfortable with, and I understand that. It’s funny though because over the years when talking with people who have purchased new cars, I’ve never heard anyone tell me they followed the manual for a break in. In fact they usually want to show me how well it performs by hard accelerations. I’ve always driven my cars hard from the start as well. Anyways, I just thought it was interesting regarding the lack of concern people had for their cars by comparison. Cheers, and enjoy that beautiful machine.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Well, bikes with 6-9-12000 rpm are a bit different from cars where you do 5-6000 rpm in best case (especially if it is automatic gearbox shifting through the gears as soon as you see something like 3000 and then keeps everything humming at 2000 to save fuel). I don't know, maybe you had a new GT3 and went straight to 9000 off the bat. I would not do that personally, but like you said we do what we are comfortable with.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Most recent was 2010 Nissan 370Z. Drove it like I stole it from the start :eek:. Had it for 5 years never burnt oil or any issues with the engine. I’ve done the same with my Prius as well:worried:, hey it gets great mileage stop hating :).

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Prius, huh? You must be a rich hollywood actor or something...

• Funny Funny x 1