2018 Speed Triple Rs Engine Noise.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Odo, Oct 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool

Hi all, I am hearing a tapping sound from the engine on a 2018 on Speed Triple which has only covered 5000 miles. I have posted a link to a you-tube video where the same model bike is being demo ridden which replicates it exactly. The noise is clear at idle and seems to be linked to engine speed and temperature as it comes in as the engine warms from cold. It cannot be heard at higher revs.
    The dealer says it is a normal engine sound but I am not convinced as other engines in the same bike do not make this noise.
    Has anyone any ideas please.
    Thanks, Dave.

2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Not sure from the video at all but mine makes a noise at idle which I believe is the clean air system Sai? Anyway I would have worried if it wasn't for my old speed triple doing a similar thing. ..

3. Robert Camilleri

Robert Camilleri New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    London
    I think I have the same problem. I have a 2018 RS and with an SC end can which sounds great. Done about 8k miles and a great bike all round for road, track and euro tours. However lately I seem to have realised that the between 3-6 rpm the engine does make noise like a stick is stuck in the front wheel and then fades out the faster you go. Never noticed it until recently. My bike has a full service history with triumph too. Is this a similar noise you are taking about?

4. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Hi Rob, yes a stick in the spokes could describe the noise. I have now done 6500 miles and the noise is there from cold now, I am going to have it looked at soon when I get it serviced. You are only the second person to respond to my original post and the first with the same noise so I still don't know how common it is.

5. Robert Camilleri

Jun 27, 2020
    London

6. Robert Camilleri

Jun 27, 2020
    London
    Hi Odo, let me know how you get on once Triumph take a look mate. Do you feel like there is anything lacking in the performance of the bike or is it just the noise? Mine is just noise, but I don’t always wear ear plus so not sure if this is why I have only recently noticed.

7. Robert Camilleri

Jun 27, 2020
    London
    Looking into it a bit further it seems it could be a valve issue and needs a clearance. This is meant to be done at 10/12m miles so strange it would need to be done a lot earlier than Triumph state. Especially when my bike has been serviced by them 3 times and always run on super unleaded fuel.

8. Robert Camilleri

Jun 27, 2020
    London
    *10/12k miles

9. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    hi all,
    Mine is due 6k service in aug and I have removed the sai system completely.
    I'll be listening and report back if anything to report.

10. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Has removing the sai had an effect on anything?

11. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #11 Ducatitotriumph, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Not that I could tell. Might pop/crackle more on down shifts but that could all be in my mind.
    No bad thing though imo
    I got rid of it as i like seeing through the engine from the side.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Hi Rob, the tech at the dealer acknowledged the noise is there but says that it is normal and they are not worried about it at all. Seems some speed triples make this noise and some don't.
    It has no effect on performance, in fact I am yet to try either sport or rider modes, as far as I am concerned the thing is a weapon in road mode.
    They fitted new front pads on the recall, because apparently, in extreme cases the originals are de-laminating.

Regards, Dave.

13. Rise_pyl

Rise_pyl New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Derby
    Hi Dave,

I’ve jumped on this forum as my bike is also suffering from the same noise.. I have a 2019 speed triple rs. The noise is exactly as described here., like a stick is in the wheel. My local dealer found the noise to be produced from the top RHS of the engine. Due to this they replaced the Cam chain tensioner.. no luck there though. My bike it currently at the dealer awaiting the manufacturer to attend to assist further. Seeing as it’s in warranty I should be able to get answers soon as it has been escalated. My bike has only done 1300 miles.. Il check in soon with further info.
    Thanks
    Tom

• Like Like x 3
  14. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Yes, please do, I am
    Tom, please do. I am wondering why your dealer felt it necessary to try to rectify the noise when mine says it is not necessary. My bike is out of warranty now so I am keen to hear how you get on with it.
    Cheers, Dave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rise_pyl

Rise_pyl New Member

Aug 11, 2020
    Derby

Ok.. so after 3 weeks in total my Triumph dealer was hoping to have the manufacture attend to investigate the bike. Supposedly they where to busy so it came down to stripping the engine sending photos to the warranty department whilst the parts where checked locally for any wear or abnormalities. As expected nothing was found. The decision was then made to replace the Sprag Clutch. And yesterday I collected the bike. The noise is now very faint and is not progressive as it once was. (Louder the higher the revs) we compared it to a brand new 2020RS on there for court and they sounded the same. So there we have it. The dealer assured me that I did the right thing taking it in and that the noise is normal to an extent but should be in no way progressive. I am hoping to rack some mileage up this weekend - weather dependant to see if anything changes. I hope this information helps. I must admit it’s been a weird one.

regards Tom

• Like Like x 5
  16. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Hi Tom, let's hope that's your problem solved, it is looking that way. However you mentioned that in your case, the noise got louder with higher revs. In mine, the noise level seems consistent whatever the engine speed, it gets less audible as the engine noise gets louder. It also depends on where you put your ear, it is most obvious when sitting on the bike at idle and if you listen next to the engine it proper clatters.
    I am not happy and I intend to go back to my dealer and tell them so, I will also mention your clutch issue.
    More later.
    Regards, Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheNakedTriple

TheNakedTriple Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Aug 30, 2020
    North Kent.
    #17 TheNakedTriple, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Let me chime in here.

I had a similar noise. This being my first Triumph, let alone Speed, I was unsure on the characteristics of the engine. But, at my bikes second service, I asked the dealership to investigate a noise. The chief technician took it out for a test ride and agreed with me that something isn't right. They put a warranty claim in (only a few days left on the warranty) and once it was approved, they removed the gear selector shaft as that's what they thought the issue was. My bike has done 7k miles. The technician said that once they looked over the selector, it showed the expected amount of wear. o_O

The dealership then reported back to triumph who authorised an engine out job to split the cases and inspect the gearbox. They have now fitted a new input shaft which they believed was the culprit, I'm waiting on Triumph to supply them with a new engine gasket kit so they can put it back together.

Its been too long and I'm not happy about that. I put the bike in on July 25th and the job is meant to be finished on the 7th September. Better be :joy: or I'm kicking off.

So, the input shaft might well be your issue!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Odo

Odo Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Liverpool
    Well I hope your issue gets sorted, please let us know the result. You didn't say if the noise in your engine was similar to mine (you can hear it in the video at the start of this thread)

19. TheNakedTriple

TheNakedTriple Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Aug 30, 2020
    North Kent.
    “Let me chime in here....
    I had a similar noise...”

honestly... it was a similar noise :joy:

I will for sure let you know how it turns out.

• Funny Funny x 2