Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Yes looking forward to picking it up. That video makes a lot of sense so will follow the advice given.

You can guarantee the weather will be changing for the worse in the next couple of weeks!! All the best and I’ll report back when I’ve collected.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Had mine for 2 weeks, just checked the tank pad and yes it will now be on the to do list at the 500 mile service on another week. Other than that the bikes great, I've done 400ish miles and it's feeling good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Or at least after o_O

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Tankpadgate. It seems to be a widespread issue :eek:

As I said, it's almost certainly shonky fitting, not a faulty part.

5. Bg357

Bg357 Active Member

Apr 30, 2018
    UK
    Service done, tank pad sorted, heated grips and quick shifter on now and the bikes brilliant:grinning:

• Like Like x 3
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #166 MrTriple, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    I'm almost done with the running in - just about to hit 800 miles which will 'unlock' 8,000 RPM.

Bearing in mind that I've only done 200 miles since the oil service, I had an unexpected problem yesterday. After 80 'spirited' miles across country with plenty of clutch use (both manual and quickshifter), I stopped for petrol a few miles from home. As I pulled out of the forecourt and accelerated away, there were plenty of revs but hardly any power at all. I had trouble picking up speed, so limped home feeling pretty despondent.

As I neared home, I realised the clutch lever was sticking half way and not fully releasing - strange how it takes time to think logically when this sort of thing happens.

I removed the lever and found that the metal around the cable barrel slot had been rubbing against the body/bracket part - enough to remove black paint and expose shiny aluminium, creating dust that mixed with the grease, to bind up the mechanism completely.

I reckon this was caused by the pivot bolt being much too tight...or perhaps it's the design of the RS lever - either way it's something worth keeping an eye on :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  7. Triple Lover

Triple Lover New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Devon
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check mine ASAP and report back to the forum if I can see any issue (have done 650 miles so far). Hope you get yours sorted ASAP.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks, but I sorted it straight away - as soon as I'd removed the lever to check what was happening. A good clean, a spot of grease, nipped the bolt back in place and adjusted the tension leaving 2 to 3mm of gap when the lever is released. All good.

I spotted another service issue too - I thought I'd check the oil level (as I'd lost trust in the quality of the service checks) and noticed the O-ring hanging out around the oil cap. It had stretched and sheared as the cap had been tightened, and a trace of oil had worked its way out around the filler hole.

Simple things, bodged up in my opinion - not the quality of work that I'd expect from a dealer working on a new bike (or old one for that matter).

Bought a pack of 19mm ID x 3.0mm O-rings for simplicity, and that problem is solved too.

Hope you're enjoying yours!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Triple Lover

Triple Lover New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Devon

10. Triple Lover

Triple Lover New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Devon
    Thats good news, and yes i simply love the new RS (in white like yours).

I intend to post a few words onto this forum with my running in experience soon. Mainly just to share the loveliness of the new toy but also the little things that you pick up and others could fine useful.

Reading through your thread and others has been very helpful to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    Mr T , apparently there is a bad batch of O rings knocking around. I had the same problem, had the service done and after couple of hundred miles and I noticed oil running down the side of the bike. I went back to the dealer and he gave me a new O ring and when you compare the two on is very soft. He said hes had to change loads with the same problem, they just seem to go soft at around 500 miles.....

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Well Mr Triple,

I think your thread started it all ref the RS. I’ve spent today basically looking at the bike. Not even riding it and I get a massive thrill from looking at it.

The Speed Triple family is awesome, yesterday I met up with the bloke who bought my S off me. I thought it was a finished bike but he’s had a full arrow system put on it and had it dynoed. Looked awesome and sounded great. Better than the standard RS. Might have to get busy with the end cans!

Hope you are all enjoying the Speed Triple in all its guises!

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    What's not to love...and as you say, definitely something to be shared.

I don't do social media, but I'm a big fan of forums like this, as they're such a brilliant resource. Where else can you ask an obscure question and get an answer, often within minutes.

It would be great to hear your experiences too, so please do post...and remember that these threads are NOTHING without pictures :)

14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Well that's interesting - and I guess I should retract my comments about shoddy workmanship o_O

The replacement rings I bought are much harder than the one that had failed, so that sounds exactly right. I've got nine spare - looks like there will be a market for them :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #175 MrTriple, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    What a lot of Speed Triple love! :heart_eyes:

I keep polishing mine (the bike) - something that gives me joy after the exit of Matt Graphite. After that I do some general staring - so I'm glad it's not just me :joy:

So I have a plan to remove the restrictive disc from each can, but leave the baffles in place (at least for now). I've just whipped an end can off, to see how the disc is attached and it's welded to the very end of the internal pipe...it's a concave end cap with a 5mm hole in it.

I've ordered a 150cm long tungsten carbide dome ended burr - like this:

570-200.jpg

I'm going to stick it down inside the can (other end to the baffle and carbon tip) and grind the edge away until it drops out. This is the plan at least.

If it goes well, I'll post details. If it doesn't, I may have to leave the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ah great because I didn’t fancy battering ten bells out of the end can to remove to disc. A more surgical application is right up my street!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    [​IMG]

18. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter

Hahahaha that’s bloody brilliant!

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've attacked the baffle discs with these:

Disc_Tooled_Up.JPG
    Disc_Drill.JPG

And this happened.

Standard tiny restrictive 5mm hole:

Disc_Hole_5mm.JPG

After 13mm drill:

Disc_Hole_13mm.JPG

After 32mm step drill:

Disc_Hole_32mm.JPG

I thought I could grind the rest away, but the stainless steel is hard (it killed the step drill bit by the time I completed the second can - and it's supposed to be a cobalt version suitable for the job).

Maybe I'll go further some other time, but as it now stands, the sound is much improved! The main baffle is still fixed in, but the underlying exhaust note has dropped to a deeper, hollow, sonorous rumble. Just need to ride over the weekend (or maybe this evening) and give it a proper test.

• Like Like x 5
  20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It's much better. Not especially loud, just a better, fuller, deeper, more rounded tone, with all of the rasp intact when you give it 8,000 RPM (current limit) of beans.

I'm now going to leave it alone ;)

• Like Like x 1