Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Speed18

Speed18 New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Ontario
    #41 Speed18, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Mr T " They've fitted a quick shifter (shift assist), alarm and a tank pad, and I opted for the carbon tank sides and slimline indicators to fit myself."

-----------------------------------------------
    Congrats ! Looks Great ... You mentioned they installed Shift Assist .. thats a standard feature on the RS in Canada and USA ... is it an option there ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Now that is lovely!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    Looks amazing. I think the tail tidy really smartens the lines.
    Out of interest, what do you mean by sealing the paintwork? Despite endless cleaning, my bikes always seem to go off after a while so I'm definitely going to give acf50 a try.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Wow, you’ve been very busy and that looks fantastic!

I’ve not heard of the clutch cable guide thing before. Is it worthwhile having? Where did you get it from?

I have also removed my pillion pegs. Where do you get the blanking bolts?

Cheers

Jack

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thank you - yes we pay extra for Shift Assist in the UK...and there's no need to gloat ;)

6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #45 MrTriple, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    The tail tidy makes it - as expected I guess.

I use Chemical Guys Jet Seal - it looks like a liquid wax polish and is applied in a similar way. It bonds to the paint at a molecular level (apparently) and forms a hardwearing barrier that helps to stop road film from sticking to the paint. It works brilliantly and they do a version for matt paint too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The clutch cable guide is a Triumph accessory - they come in red or gunmetal and cost £25. It does absolutely nothing and isn't worth having...but it looks great :grinning:

I posted about the bolts on my old bike - here's what you need to know: https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/rear-footpeg-removal.9647/page-2#post-119003 :blush:

8. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

9. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
  10. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Looks Bloomin awesome! Very much in the style I like.

I had a very similar looking, thick rubber tank pad which was fitted to mine before I got it which I never liked.

The clutch guide is a total waste of money but cos my old bike had one I’d get another, defo!

The under seat storage is becoming laughable but I suppose that’s the way these bikes are going with ultra slim sub frames. I justify it by saying it ain’t a tourer, if I wanted a tourer I’d buy one with all the cubby holes and charging points included.

I like the Kriega soft luggage which looking at other posts can easily be adapted to fit which suits my type of touring or trips away.

It’s not often I’d buy somat without much interest in the cost but I’m smitten!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speed18

Speed18 New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Ontario
    never gloat .... :) .....I just ordered the Black RS with the no charge shift assist .... Delivery is in May ..
    Really appreciate the pics you posted ... helps me decide on options.
    So far Front brake reservoir, Rad guard, Heated grips and Shift assist ... oh wait .. shift assist is standard

Does UK come standard with Heated Grips ? option in Canada

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm glad you're smitten and to be honest, for the build quality and feel of the bike, I think the cost is pretty reasonable (compared say, to the MT-10 SP, S1000R or Superduke 1290). I'm still surprised that no one seems to be talking about the S though.

13. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Mmmm well I’ve come from a 2014 s and the only reason I bought it was because it had LOADS of extra stuff.

To much carbon fibre to mention, clutch guide, ASV levers ( things of beauty), the nice brake reservoirs, bar end mirrors, SP project can with arrow map.

It looked great but annoyed me occasionally with things like over intrusive and not turnoffable ABS.

Not much annoyance to be honest but seeing, hearing the RS in the flesh I simply can’t wait! As I’ve said I’m glad I’m coming from pre 16 upgrade as it’s gonna be epic!

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm sure that the no-charge version of shift assist won't give you the same gear changing satisfaction that you'd get if you paid for it :laughing:. Also, we don't have to have it as standard in the UK, because we're able to change gear without it :joy:

We don't get heated grips either - and I skipped them as I use heated gloves instead. The standard reservoirs are pretty good to be fair, but the alloy versions really do look nice.

I bet you can't wait for May to arrive - but on the plus side, some of the early questions and issues should be resolved by then.

Be sure to share your own pics when your bike arrives :blush:

15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I agree - I'm impressed with the leap from 2016, so there's no danger of you not noticing the difference.

I love ASV levers, but on this bike, I'm sticking with the standard ones - they're Brembo and really quite respectable. Plenty of micro distance adjustment, together with additional modulation adjustment.

16. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ha we sound like the agree brothers but I agree with you. When I saw it in the flesh the levers looked great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Speed18

Speed18 New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Ontario
    ----------
    "May" does seem a ways off but here they are still calling for snow later this week
    Actually trading in the 2017 FZ10 ( "MT"-10 in UK ... huum .. "FZ" really does sound faster though)
    Looking forward to seeing the difference .. the FZ has a unique flyscreen that is small but does an incredible job of deflecting the air over you at high speeds

so my question is ... does the clear/smoke add on Triumph fly screen for the Triple speed work ?

18. YorkieSteve

YorkieSteve New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    York
    Mr T

Beautiful looking bike, I have a 16 plate Triple R and love it, daren't think about a test ride on the RS!! However I do have a brand new, ordered from World of Triumph, tank pad. Still in it's unopened box (long story but ordered one off Ebay took ages to arrive but ultimately it did) PM me and we can sort details but would rather it was used where needed.

Enjoy the bike anyway.

Steve

• Love You Love You x 1
  19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I can't help you with an opinion on the fly screen...but someone else will surely come along and help :)

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Well that's very thoughtful of you - but I think you should save that tank pad and buy an RS to go with it :yum

I fitted the majority of the bits myself and saved on the £80 hourly workshop rate - but allowed the 2 minutes required for Triumph to fit the pad, in case I scratched it on the way home. "You had one job" springs to mind. I'm sure they'll replace it if necessary, but I'll drop you a PM anyway.

21. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Managed to persuade my dealer to swap the bits over for free to clinch the deal.:p

22. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #60 MrTriple, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    There's always something to barter over. I tried everything I could to reduce the price difference between the old and new bikes: selling privately + keeping old parts + deal on the new bike + fitting stuff myself = :grinning:

Any news on yours yet?

• Like Like x 1