Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Eagerly await your next update :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

Just remember to turn off the TC for the full effect! :p:D

• Like Like x 2
  3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #203 MrTriple, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Another 100 miles today through the twisty Essex countryside (in case you're local...Abridge, Ongar, Dunmow, Finchingfield, Hempstead, Thaxted, Takely to Hatfield Heath (one of my favourite stretches), Fyfield, Ongar and back to Abridge).

I learned that using all the available revs in conjunction with Shift Assist, is raucous and supremely exhilarating.

In reality, finding the red line was quite hard (on country lanes). I'm not keen on maxing out in first gear, so that leaves second...and you have to do between 83 and 85mph to turn the rev gauge a bright shade of red. Third gear was clearly out of the question.

This bike is so different to my old R - I'm no racer, but the extra rev range really transforms the ride. It feels way more willing, much lighter and easier to turn in...and the exhaust note (in my opinion) is perfect without those discs.

I run the rear suspension at 18 Compression and 15 Rebound, but tried the Rebound at 13 today. It felt great, but a tad hard, so I'm going back to 15.

Back to cleaning and staring at it tomorrow :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 6
  4. Triple Lover

Triple Lover New Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Devon
    Sounds like your having fun, now that you have done some miles with the modified exhaust cans have you found any -ve points (no matter how small).

I've also done a similar mileage to you on my new RS and now that I'm starting to get the feel for the bike it's time to consider some little modifications.

As its raining today I'll have to just look at my bike pictures - these new triples do look gorgeous don't they.

upload_2018-7-29_7-35-25.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Benj

Benj New Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Brisbane Australia
    Just got mine as well. same colour and just like yours. My first Triumph and love it so far

20180719_132358.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's a great photo (and a lovely bike!) - I need to get more arty with my photography. Anyone tried a moody dark background photo of the Matt Black version?

With regard to the exhaust, there are no negatives whatsoever. As I wrote earlier, the idle went wobbly initially, but was easily cured using 'Reset Adaption' (from cold, start without touching the throttle or any controls, run for 10 to 15 minutes (the dealer advised 12 minutes) and the ECU will adapt to the engine.)

7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Another wise colour choice ;) and you have a tank too! :p

8. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    looks like the australian spec has a different style tank to the uk version.;)

9. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    Current pic - 1270 miles so far. About to remove the discs in the exhausts this week.

20180728_101040.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Now that looks gorgeous. The tank grip suits the styling really well. Very nice indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  11. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex
    Austin Racing are looking to develop some slip-on exhaust options for the 2018 Speed Triple if anybody has one they'd like to donate for development? ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Well fingers crossed that they do release something, because I've spoken to them a couple of times at shows and there's not been any movement to date. My son has AR on his Daytona and MT-10 - and the MT-10 in particular, sounds absolutely amazing (with the baffle out, it's reminiscent of a V4). He visited their workshop and said it was like Aladdin's cave (no photos allowed).

Definitely my first choice :)

Here's the MT-10:

IMG_7451.JPG

and the Daytona:

IMG_6150.JPG

13. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex
    I live down the road from them and they want to use my bike for development but their aim is for the 2018 bike now and mine is 2016. Part of the reason for them not doing anything is the trouble getting a straight answer out of Triumph about what parts fit between years and what don't. Triumph make so many undeclared changes each year it's a nightmare for aftermarket manufacturers to keep up.
    They wanted to try a full system from a 2018 Speedy to offer up to my 2016 to develop a system but Triumph cannot (or won't) tell them if the mounting points are the same or not. Mine only came with the Arrow Low Boy system fitted and no originals, which makes it awkward to begin with as the pipe is bigger and different layout under the belly.
    Do you know if the Arrow slip-on cans are the same between the 2016/17 and the 2018? I know you mention the link pipe changed, but I don't know where the cans actually slip on (surely it's not all the way down to the CAT)?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Sounds like you and I could team up and get something sorted :)

The SC Project under-seat slip-ons are reported not to fit the 2018, as the diameter of the link pipe (where it meets each can) is allegedly different. SC are quoting September to have an updated part.

It's all a bit confusing, because the 2016/17 Arrow cans included a different link pipe (a much nicer shinier one that needs no clamps at the can end...hence the old wobbly can problem...which was easily solved using a broomstick as a lever...but I digress). I assume that all of the aftermarket under-seat slip ons, fit the standard link pipe.

Of course with the 2018, the Arrow cans are mated to the standard link pipe (in other words, if you buy Arrow cans for the 2018 S, you don't get a new link pipe as you did for 2016/17).

Now looking at where the link pipe joins the cat, for 2016/17, the cat exit pipe is attached to the lower frame mounting point; but for 2018, it's now the link pipe that attaches to the lower frame mounting point.

The other three mounting points for the under-seat Arrow cans (one on each can and one on the link pipe) are the same for 2018 - I know this because I mounted my old 2016 Arrow cans and offered up the link pipe, before establishing that it was short at the cat end.

Phew...glad to get that lot of my chest :weary_face:

Link_pipe.jpg

Plus...I also understand that the headers are a different size, rendering the 2017/17 Lowboy useless too.

15. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex

16. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex
    So, as the Austin Racing options are going to be similar to their twin high for the KTM Superduke R and the Low similar to the Triumph photo you posted, I am unsure of the link pipe dilemma?
    Basically, can you tell me if the Arrow cans between years are the same measurements as I would imagine that is they are then it's only the link pipe which has changed and therefore may make things a bit simpler for the Austin Racing team to develop?

17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I thought I had tried to answer that - maybe not very well ;)

I'll send you a PM with my number and we could have a chat...and spare the world the pain of my ramblings. Then I can post up the results when I have them.

I think that for any low mount option, the link pipe attachment is a different length and requires a mounting bracket, and for any high mount option, the link pipe is a different diameter at the can (which is why the current SC cans won't fit).

• Like Like x 1
  18. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex

19. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex
    Sounds like a good idea! I'm already thinking that as the AR cans are very short they might be able to fabricate a much shorter link pipe between the original and the can (talking just enough to accommodate the diameter change). ;)

20. CrazyDunk

CrazyDunk New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    East Sussex
    Sounds like a good idea! I'm already thinking that as the AR cans are very short they might be able to fabricate a much shorter link pipe between the original and the can (talking just enough to accommodate the diameter change). ;)