Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    To be completely honest it looks proper nice and it will sound fantastic but for me it's just the out right cost of the unit, it's nice to chop and change so good on ya matey.
    Look forward to seeing it. :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Looks lovely mate, been thinking about this myself, need a vid as soon as you get it on

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    There's nothing I can think of saying to justify the cost - and after RSPete commented at the £599 cost earlier on, I have to point out that it's "plus VAT". Laser etching is another £100 too. And delivery is £20. :eek:

So the price sucks, but they make an awesome, over-engineered product and they know that there are people that will cough up the cash. To the best of my knowledge, they're first to market with an exhaust for the RS (and don't forget they do a link pipe to fit the 2016+ too, catering for standard or LowBoy headers).

Delivery time is 4 to 6 weeks, so it will be a while before I can go mad with a photo and sound clip fest.

4. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    Hello :)

Do you have any news for your Austin Racing Exhaust ?

I would like to buy this
    « Titanium Can (with laser logo) and Black Tip »

But i don’t know if i to choose (fitment) « Stock headers » or « Arrow headers »

I have a Speed Triple RS Crystal White :love:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm still waiting - they did say it would take around 6 weeks, so hopefully it will turn up at the end of the month.

If you have the 2018 RS, then you should choose Stock Headers. The Arrow headers are only for earlier bikes that have the full Arrow 'Lowboy' system.

I also chose the longer 170mm can because I think it looks more balanced and it has a deeper (richer) sound than the shorter 110mm version.

There was a 'Triumph 10' 10% discount offer that expired at the end of this week - if you send them an email and ask, they may well give you some money off.

6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Now I'm excited :p

Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 15.55.34.png

• Like Like x 3
  7. fractaz

fractaz Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    Hi MrT, first of all congratulations for this wonderful Speed, you really set the standard imo. As soon as I saw your modifications I knew I had to do the same.
    One question tho, I'm planning on ordering the exhaust carbon cover, would you mind sharing the installation of this item as it's not designed for our speed originally ?
    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thank you so much for your kind comments - I'm glad you've felt inspired!

I think there's a delicate balance between making it look better than factory, but not over-modified. Maybe the AR exhaust is a step too far, but we'll see.

I'll remove the exhaust heat shield over the weekend and show you what I did. They've moved the location of the forward fixing points on the 2018 Speed and the fix just involves making an extension bracket by bending a length of stainless steel rod and cushioning it with a piece of silicone hose (as it's heat proof).

It will make perfect sense when I post a photo.

I'll be back :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. fractaz

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    I'll post some pictures of mine, I'm sure you'll notice the resemblance.
    I'm not sure the AR is a step too far, I'm curious what the end result will be. I could personally swap to a lowboy when it's released (if ever).

Awesome, I'm actually not surprised based on your posts across the forum, you seem to be really helping and dedicated. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Mr t you've made evotech alot of money here, hope you get a kickback in profits! :joy:
    Looking forward to see the new pipe fitted :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I do like to share...sometime a bit too much maybe. It's all due to my over-enthusiasm for this kind of stuff - and it's great to see other people benefit too.

You must post some photos! It would be great to see what you've done.

12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #251 MrTriple, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    You might be right...and there's no connection whatsoever. They did give me a 10% discount code, but that has nothing to do with my activity on here.

Here's my special technique...always send an email or make a call saying "there's a space for a Discount Code on your Checkout page and I need something to put in it". It works almost every time :yum

• Like Like x 5
  13. fractaz

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    Did that last time and worked as well, really friendly customer service.

Regarding my photos, for your viewing pleasure : https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/2018-speed-triple-rs-white-carbon.16228/
    ;)

14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Yummy! Enough said

15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    So just to mess with us, Triumph moved the front fixings on the side of the catalytic converter forward for the 2018 bikes - meaning that my 2016 Carbon Heat Shield wouldn't fit.

After practicing with a bit of wire coat hanger, I bought a length of stainless steel welding rod (as it won't rust) and a piece of silicone hose (because it won't melt) to cushion it. Job done.

The heat shield is this one from CarbonFBR (the last four photos are of my old 2016R...no affiliation, I just sent Jacques at CarbonFBR some pics). He appears to be stating that it will fit the 2018 bike, so perhaps he's unaware that there's a difference (I'll drop him an email and point him at this post). He's usually very quick to respond (no pressure ;)).

HeatShield_1.JPG
    HeatShield_2.JPG
    HeatShield_3.JPG
    HeatShield_4.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. fractaz

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    Just unmounted my heat shield, I now understand your system, thanks a lot. Just ordered a twill carbon one, as well as heel guards :) Should have them next week, will post picture when done. Thanks again !

• Like Like x 1
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #255 MrTriple, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    So here it is...kind of 'on' the bike in the last photo. Just need time to get it fitted. First impression is that it's beautifully made and weighs absolutely nothing.

AustinRacing_1.JPG
    AustinRacing_2.JPG
    AustinRacing_3.JPG
    AustinRacing_4.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  18. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Beautiful, haven’t exhausts become a work of art in recent years, thinking back to aftermarket exhausts like Alfa, Piper, Dunstall, Marshall etc from the 80’s and 90’s puts it into perspective, good though they were at the time compared with the OEM ones made of monkey metal and lasting til 4th gear :worried:

• Like Like x 2
  19. fractaz

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Trouble is, they cost the same as a work of art o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It's fitted. I love it...and believe it or not, I haven't started her up yet.

The process took a little longer than expected due to a mismatched nut and bolt and some surprising indifference from the AR 'Customer Service' representative. I'll explain below - full fitting details in a moment...

22. fractaz

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    Post it !!! :)