2018 Scrambler Oil Pressure Light Stays On But Engine Is Fine (help)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Werner Botes, Feb 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    Hallo Gents,

OK, so I bought my very first Triumph it is a 2018 Street Scrambler 2nd hand, with believe it or not 9 miles on the clock.

1. My low oil pressure light stays on when the bike is running. Engine sounds 100% and is running smooth. Took it to Triumph they claim its a faulty dash, but I disagree. The dash was working 100% before.

2. I disconnected the oil switch while the bike was running and the light stayed on. On some forums I saw that a blocked oil filter / faulty filter might be the problem, but with the bike only having 9 miles on when I bought it and still have the original triumph filter in its highly likely to be the problem.

3. If someone have any information or tips that I can try or test out to find the problem...it will be much appreciated!

Cheers

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Why you messing with it?
    The warranty is transferable as I've done mine a few months back and Triumph resolved an issue for me very quickly and competently.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    The problem is the bike had a small front end crash, insurance deregistered the bike. Thus i can not transfer the warranty. I am based in South Africa.

4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #4 TEZ 217, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    In that case if it has no warranty following a front end bump then I suggest you start by dropping the oil and changing the filter then work from there, 9 miles don't matter too much a front end bump does. :confused:
    Gotta start somewhere and you've sort of picked your own starting point go for it, :cool::cool:

PS If you disconnected the oil switch then no light should show IMHO - if you ground the wire it should light, faulty dash could be correct don't dismiss so easily.
    if pushed for cash you could check condition of oil if super clean and not contaminated at all and having only done 9 mile you could re-use until you check out this issue further, as for filter just change that as you wont be able to check it,

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #5 Eldon, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Do a multimeter check of the cold and hot oil sensor to confirm your current findings. Ideally plumb in a gauge to do a proper pressure test. Especially with that mileage why risk spoiling a mint engine.
    Assuming that confirms engine all good then dash it is unless it's a wiring fault.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    To enable us to help and guide you better an explanation of what you mean by "a small front end crash" and what it entails would help?

Small means significantly different to one person than the next. Have you got a wiring diagram?

• Like Like x 1
  7. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    How long have you run/used the bike with this problem present ? how many miles on it now ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    You say the engine is fine? Engine could have been left running after said crash resulting in partial oil starvation?
    You really need to get the oil pressure checked using a gauge that screws into oil pressure switch port, otherwise you are just clutching at straws. If pressure is within limits then at least you know you have either a switch or dash issue.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    This was the bike after the crash, I replaced the Radiator, rectifier and Forks

13.jpg

10. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    After I send it in to Triumph workshop, they said I can ride the bike so currently its on about 50 miles, but decided that Id rather sort the problem before any more miles. Just not comfortable with the light always on.

11. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    After I send it in to Triumph workshop, they said I can ride the bike so currently its on about 50 miles, but decided that Id rather sort the problem before any more miles. Just not comfortable with the light always on.

12. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    Thanks for all the response guys, let the investigation continue. BTW this is the bike currently

IMG_20190128_142927.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I wouldn’t call that a “small” front end crash, the back wheel is damn near in front of the front one!
    It would kind of explain the dash issue tho. Good luck with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

Although by 50 mls it should have shown signs of oil starvation it would pay to check ...did the garage that said its OK to ride check with a pressure gauge?

15. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    They ran a full diagnostics on the bike, came out with zero errors. Not sure if they used a gauge. Ordered a oil pressure gauge kit online, will be delivered on Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I always fit a pressure gauge rather than a warning light to most of my bikes or cars...at least you know whats going on that way.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Interesting problem you have there. After seeing the photo of the front end damage, I;m betting on the faulty dash for the culprit. Especially after you state that the oil light is still on when unplugged. Sounds like a damaged sensor and/or wiring. Keep us informed, please. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Having looked at the as crashed picture, what state is the wiring loom in?
    A trapped or cut wire shorting to earth could be the culprit. Are there any mashed areas of the loom?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Werner Botes

Werner Botes New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    South Africa
    OK Gents, I've connected a pressure gauge to the motor. When started with the oil still cold, it was idling at 40psi/1150k. But as the motor and oil heated up the pressure dropped to 15psi...this is normal yes? (See photo). When I rev it up to around 2500k the oil pressure return to 40psi.

I've gone through the wiring harness and cant find any faults. This leaves me with a Faulty dash...got a mate with the same bike will swap out the dash and see if the light goes off this coming weekend. Keep you posted

IMG_20190211_184744.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Although not familiar with that particular motor the oil pressure sounds OK it does sound like its a pinched wire shorting somewhere...have you got a multimeter that you can test continuity of the pressure light circuit?

• Like Like x 1