2018 Rs White: Colour 'fade'

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by jeznewsome, Jan 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    I was lucky enough to pick up a 2018 plate RS at the weekend. It came with all the bits so I swapped out the pillion seat for the seat cover (as I have no intention to take a pillion).

It would appear that they are not the same shade of white? The seat cover is slightly lighter/whiter than the rest of the bike appears to be.

Having had/have other 'pearlescence white' bikes I am aware that this shade has, in the past at least, shown some 'yellowing' with age. My assumption is that the seat cover was stored (not on the bike), therefore the rest of the bike shade has changed with exposure to light?

Anyone else with the same bike see the same effect if the cover has not been used?

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2 Eldon, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    I have a 68 plate white rs765 and haven't noticed this issue. I have both cover and pillion seat.
    I would ask Triumph UK and send them accurate pictures which maybe difficult in certain light conditions. I recently went through a paint warranty claim and they gave me a new rear wheel with absolutely no hassle or problems. In fact to be honest they handled the issue faultlessly in a prompt professional manner.
    Well impressed.

3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Take the bike to your local dealer Jez. Show them proof of ownership and ask them to update the owner details in Triumph on Line. And ask them to look at the bike for you and ask if they think a warranty claim is warranted.

4. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    I’ve noticed my battery cover is a different shade to the tank, but I have put this down to the paint being applied to metal vs plastic. Similar to car bumpers being a different shade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have a chat with the dealer later in the week as I need to drop in there to pick up a screen.

I also thought that it may be the material differences though all the bits around the seat are some form of plastic.

6. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I have a 2016, mine is the same, but can only tell in certain light conditions, ie fluorescent garage lights.

7. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    My white 2018 RS has always shown a colour difference, again most noticeable under fluorescent lighting...and so did my matt graphite 2016 R...along with most bumpers on the Fords that I've owned.

I'm pretty sure it happens with paint over plastic compared with paint over metal (especially with metallics). With enough care and expense, you can achieve a close match, but I guess that the factory has a budget to stick to.

The only thing is, the two rear side panels are also plastic...and on mine, they are whiter compared to the creamier coloured seat cowl.

Just sloppy painting then :worried:

8. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Sounds like we need to do a swap of seat cowls! Mine is whiter than the creamier side panels

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #8 MrTriple, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Genius! There are enough people on here to cobble together a perfect bike :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe not looking hard enough, the benefit of getting old, tired eyes etc.
    To be fair I mainly ride with the pillion seat on but will pay more attention next time i get it out.

11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe not looking hard enough, the benefit of getting old, tired eyes etc.
    To be fair I mainly ride with the pillion seat on but will pay more attention next time i get it out.

12. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Dropped into the dealer last Saturday. On Monday Triumph agreed the warranty claim so I am getting replacements for the rear panels and the rear seat cover with 2 of the three panels with Youles by Tuesday. Just waiting for the RH rear panel now, hopefully they will all match!

• Like Like x 3
  13. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    hmmmm.........when the third panel arrived I went over to have them fitted.

Left and Centre(seat cover) were the same colour but the Right hand panel way off (darker/creamier).

Having waited another 3 weeks I went back yesterday as another panel had arrived from Triumph. Again nothing like the same colour (darker/creamier white).

I fear that this could take some time unless Triumph actually start using the same white colour on all their panels and doesn't bode well for anyone wanting a replacement in a few years time!

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Something I learned yesterday after we'd taken some new panels to a paint shop to be sprayed a different colour to go on another bike. The resprayer had various options on the same colour to account for ageing and sun bleaching. So while e.g. MP is the colour code for silver on a Thruxton R, the paint shop will choose from six different shade mixes for MP to achieve the closest match.

15. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    But it would be reasonable to expect 3 BRAND NEW, plastic panels, direct from the manufacturer to be the SAME colour!

• Agree Agree x 1