2018 Rs Oil Consuption Issues

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andrew Bryceland, Sep 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andrew Bryceland

Andrew Bryceland New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Glasgow, United Kingdom
    Hello all,

Has anyone experienced any issues with oil consumption on their 2018 Rs ?

My bike has been consuming about 400ml for every 250ish miles. there has also been a rattling/cluncking noise which is intermittent.

I took the bike to my local dealer, who checked it over and said the oil consumption was normal, and although they could hear the noise they checked all the fittings for tightness and nothing was found, told me to bring it back if it gets any worse.

the noise has got worse so I have taken the bike back to my local dealer (I did not buy from them), and they have said that triumph has recommended replacing the valve stem oil guides. this seems to be an unusual issue to have on a year and a half old bike with less than 10000 miles. They also haven't found the source of the noise, and have said they will look for that after they have sorted the oil issue.

Has anyone had anything similar ? I had to sell my last bike (S1000RR) because it was constantly having electrical problems, I bought this bike because I wanted a newish bike with no problems. :(

2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    That does seem excessive! Mine has 8000 miles and is using some oil when it didn't before ... nothing like 1.6l/ 1000mls though !! And that cannot be considered normal surely !!
    However I HAVE noticed a bit gear whine when under llow load at around 3500-5000 in 3rd also apparent in first / 5th ... only since its service..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Maybe worth performing a compression test to see if any oil could be leaking into the cylinders
    Check your air box too, any oil in there from the breather pipe could indicate oil pressure/level problems

4. Andrew Bryceland

Jan 17, 2019
    Glasgow, United Kingdom
    Other than the clunk/rattle I haven't noticed any other whines or noises
    The bike is in with the dealer now, triumph has authorised a warranty repair of the valve stem oil guides, so will see what happens after that. Just a bit disappointed with the quality of a nearly new bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Good luck with getting a satisfactory solution. Hopefully you are insisting they sort the rattle as well as the valve guide/seal issues !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Absolutely not normal mate not good enough Triumph seem to be on a downward spiral now accountants build bikes :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Oil consumption can be an issue when bikes are broken in following the manual. Low revs don’t allow piston rings to seal or seat with cylinder walls. My Street Triple was a demo and most likely ridden easily before I bought it, and it was as thirsty as an Irish drunk. I broke my RS in with high rpm’s and it has no oil consumption issues. I have two brothers with bikes. One bought a demo and it burns oil as well, the other bought new and broke it in hard and has no oil consumption issues. I’m not saying that’s the issue here, but it certainly is a major factor. Hope you get the noise issue resolved, that’s not normal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andrew Bryceland

Jan 17, 2019
    Glasgow, United Kingdom
    My bike was owned by triumph themselves before I bought it, so was likely a press or demo bike.

9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah probably was. Well let’s hope they get it sorted. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    I doubt a demo bike is treated with care, I bet they are thrashed by potential customers from day one. Mine is an ex demo and doesn’t use any oil if that helps

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, I don’t know. A buddy of mine who sold bikes for years said most people don’t want to put a new bike down, so prolonged full throttle rides probably aren’t happening to often. He also said the people who babied there bikes during break in generally had less power as well, due to the piston rings not seating as well. When rings aren’t seated well oil consumption generally follows. But who really knows.

• Agree Agree x 1