2018 Quick Shift / Blipper On 2014 Model?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Taff, Nov 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Ive heard great things about the new quick shifter / auto blipper fitted to the latest speed triples.
    Does anyone know if it will fit to a 2014 speed triple??
    Cheers
    Taff

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I wouldn’t have thought so as I believe the electrics are very different and I read somewhere that if you put a QS on up to 2015 bikes they will chew the gearbox up.

3. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru

4. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Thanks Yorkshireman,
    I was afraid it would be too good to be true.
    ATB
    Taff

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    You also need fly by wire throttle, bikes with cables can’t be controlled by the ECU and blipped on downshifts.

6. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Thanks Bryan
    I tried a 2018 Speed Triple and loved the increased performance but not the electronic aids, so I’ll be sticking to the mandraulics of my 2014 version by the looks of things.
    Taff

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I'm on a 2012 non ABS Speed, so got nothing to help out.

8. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    Mine has got ABS but thats all.
    Had an interesting experience on a "skills day" at Mallory Park where we had a "maximum braking" exercise.
    (Amazing just how much hard braking the bike can take, if you have the minerals and a bit of practice).
    I went wide on a bend because the abs kicked in and gave an experience akin to brake fade.
    Switched off the abs and repeated the exercise and this time the rear end lifted.
    ABS does work. I was at max braking.

Apart from that my bike like yours is fully mandraulic so its all my own fault.
    I also like it because I can connect tune ecu if required.
    The later models are "black box" so can't be diagnosed.
    Taff

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    What do you need to run Tune ECU, how much and what windows version?

10. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    On android it’s just over a tenner for the app and I recently bought a Bluetooth obd2 adapter for £16 from lonelec. Don’t know about using a pc apart from you’ll need an obd2 lead. It’s swings and roundabouts really cos there’s things you can do on android that you can’t on pc and vice versa.

11. Taff

Taff Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Cymru
    As above,
    You MUST use the "right" cable as recommended by tune ecu.
    The rest is free. I use an old laptop with windows 7 but Im sure it works on later versions. All the instructions are on the tune ecu website.
    It can be made to run on a mac if you load windows but that sort of palaver is beyond me.
    Takes a while to read it all though.
    Taff

12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    As Taff and Yorkshireman above. Windows download is free, I've run it on Windows7 and definitely installs on Windows10 but can't remember if I've run it from that yet. You need the Android version and bluetooth dongle if you want to clear the service indicator (or bleed ABS module). If you need to change the engine map you need a cable. I've done throttle balancing and "reset adaption" by both methods from both Android and Windows. I suspect there's a bit more response lag when using bluetooth for throttle balancing (but could be all in the mind).
    It's handy to have Android phone and a bluetooth dongle under the seat, then you have a diagnostics tool to read errors should you have a breakdown on the road.

13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    On that subject Col, what does the reset adaption do.

14. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Can I use Bluetooth adapter on a Samsung Galaxy tablet?

15. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    To answer a question with a question can you download android apps, if so then it would seem ok. Col?

16. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Seems i can download the app for about £11

17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Essentially the same as the "start & leave on side stand for 15mins routine", but gives you a bit more confidence that it's actually completed. Once you click the button to start the process after a while a green indicator comes on to show it's done. Next time you ride the engine will re-calibrate to fine tune itself from the base map.
    I'm convinced the ecu is quite clever - a few years back SWMBO (on a Street Triple) acted as tail end Charley on a few 1st man drop-off ride outs I led down here for "old mates" from the Midlands on a (B#W club) weekend away down here. Lots of very slow riding seemed to make it re-calibrate and ran crap afterwards, a quick reset and it was good as gold again.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  18. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I don't have first hand experience of tablets, but I assume you just go to GooglePlay and download it just the same as smart phones. The TuneECU site has tested on these devices.
    upload_2018-11-28_17-3-50.png

So I assume you're good to go.

19. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #19 Bryan3R, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Got a Galexy Tab E which isn't shown on there. Will have to ask b4 I order it.
    Though there is a version which will work with my laptop on Win 7, plus it comes with micro sub cable to plug into tablet/phone

20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    TuneECU is a small enthusiast operation, so that is just a list of devices they've managed to test. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work on your Galaxy (it has bluetooth according to the 'net).
    Of course if your laptop has bluetooth also you could try it on there for free. (+ £10approx for dongle which works with either)

For ref. TuneECU works fine on my HTC One (M8) smart phone - which is nothing fancy and quite old now.