2017 T120 Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Perkybus, Jan 29, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Perkybus

Perkybus New Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Florida
    Hello everyone, first post for this newbie here. I could use the forum's expert advice! I'm considering buying this 2017 T120. I rode it for over an hour today and it ran beautifully, the problem(?) is that the bike only has 3000 miles on it and everything looks pristine except the engine and pipes. The engine is spotted everywhere (see photo, wasn't going to post because I thought it was from road until I started reading about transmission issues here) Any opinions on this? Does this look like a hint to transmission or other major engine work done already? If this could be cleaned off, why didn't the dealer do it like he did everything else? Additionally, bike has been for sale for over 5 months! As I wrote earlier, I rode for an hour and it seemed to run beautifully, but I'm a new rider so what do I know. Dealer is selling for $9000 otd. Not really a deal, seems to be the going price on this used. Bonus if you recognize this bike for all you Florida peeps. Thanks in advance for any advice on whether to buy.

IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9330.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That’s just a bit of surface corrosion and will easily polish out, it’s no indication of any serious engine work. If you rode the bike for an hour (good that you did) and it was fine up and down the gears then it would appear to be ok.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it being there for 5 months, in the current climate not too much is moving in the way of used bike sales cos if it’s anything like here the showrooms are closed to physical viewing.
    Can’t comment on price from this side of the ditch but if you are interested in buying the bike I would ask if there is any warranty included (and what is covered) and make an offer, if they aren’t selling many bikes right now you might just get a deal.
    Welcome to the forum, good luck, stay safe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome :)
    As said that’s just surface corrosion :confused:
    Probably washed and not dried/cleaned properly :(
    Bit of TLC and plenty of elbow grease and it’ll look like new :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:
    Get the polish out and enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Welcome to the forum :)
    You could ask the dealer to polish the casings as a condition of you buying the bike... make them work for your money ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Perkybus
    Yes welcome to the family. The cases all do that even my 900 that gets polished every week. Knock him down a bit on the price for work needing doing or ask him to polish the cases or fit the chrome replacements. They are nice bikes and yours seems fine but you must be the one who decides.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Andrew Harry McMillan

Mar 4, 2017
    Scotland
    Looks like pitting to me and therefore will not polish out. It's not hard to keep cases good, a regular wipe with ACF 50 or similar is all it takes. Getting that way in 3000 miles suggests it's not been looked after. Why is that exhaust pipe blued?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Perkybus

Perkybus New Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Florida
    Yes this bike has a strange history. Dealer said local guy brought it in on trade that he does every three years for same bike and same color scheme. The other guy said same story but guy wanted different color scheme. I like people, so I'm sure story just got mixed up between the two but... I saw a video of the bike in Tampa AND a video of the bike in Daytona. I'm in Daytona so bike has obviously moved around.
    I too was wondering why the pipes were blue and wondered if it had fuel injector issues or some sort.
    P.S. Thank you ALL for your advice. It is greatly appreciated and makes me want to be a part of this Triumph forum!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Perkybus

Perkybus New Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Florida
    Cheers, littleade! Of course after putting a small refundable deposit yesterday on the bike I am now totally salivating over having it in my garage so I am very blind to it all. It's great to have the other sets of eyes.
    It also has weird rust/oxidization on the silver front fender bracket. I thought this was out of line with a 2017 with this low mileage. Maybe it was in a flood?

10. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    With those pea shooter exhausts, I bet it sounds amazing
    Happy riding:)

11. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Hi welcome, I've got a T120 and have not looked back nor am i worried about gearbox issues.
    There are riders and then there are riders, so if your considerate with your machine, ill be very surprised if it turns out to have gesrbox issues.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    dont know if this link would help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Not really, been down that road in another thread.

14. Perkybus

Perkybus New Member

Jan 28, 2021
    Florida
    Again, cheers all! I got him to take the price down. I'm riding it home tomorrow. :)

• Like Like x 5
  15. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, @Perkybus! I'm a bit late to this thread but wanted to welcome you to the forum family. Great photo you posted for us of the Bonnie that you just bought! Hope you enjoy the bike and can polish out some of what ails the metal work. I lived in Florida for a year so know how humid it is and what the air can be like near the coast. Is it possible that some of the problems are due to salt air? That may be a goofy question but, hey, I live in the Arizona desert. :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.30.10 PM.png

• Like Like x 4