2017 T120 Indicators Not Flashing

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JohnAscroft, Nov 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JohnAscroft

JohnAscroft New Member

Oct 20, 2020
    Christchurch, NZ
    #1 JohnAscroft, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    My bike developed a fault where the indicators stayed on rather than flashing. It started as intermittent, but rapidly became permanent.

It was due for a service, so I asked the shop to look at it. They messed around with it and the indicators started working. When I picked the bike up they promptly stopped again. So they put a new battery in. Indicators flashed the first time then have stopped flashing ever since.

Any normal bike this would be a $20 flasher unit, but I understand that Triumph have built this function into the ECU, so I will be up for $1000, since the bike is out of warranty. It only has 9000km on it though.

The dealer has a three week wait to get in to the workshop, so I'm pretty unhappy with the whole situation. They keep saying to try resetting the indicator timing. But that makes no difference.
    Even if I replace the ECU how do I know this won’t happen again???? I’ve read a few posts where this has happened, but always fixed under warranty.

I like the bike a lot but this design problem has me thinking about getting something else, maybe an H-D. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it reasonable to ask Triumph to fix it out of warranty since it’s such low kms? I kind of feel a major component like an ECU should last longer than 10,000 km.

2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Go back to your Triumph dealer and ask them to put in a warranty claim to Triumph, you have nothing to lose and they may replace the ecu, if that's the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    This is the reason I don't like modern bikes.
    It reminds me of a car I use to have, the rear wiper would come on randomly.
    Like yourself, I thought a new wiper relay would sort it.
    But no, needed a new ecu.
    Instead of spending £600, just let the wiper come on :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I’ve heard of it happening before, it is a known issue, thankfully it’s rare, if it ever happens to my Thruxton I’ll wire in a seperate indicator circuit, stuff paying 1k to get the indicators working!

• Like Like x 3