2016 Thruxton - Standard or R?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Cotswold, Jun 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cotswold

Cotswold New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    Hello from a long term Ducati (600SS, GT1000) rider about to join you with a 2016 Thruxton. My problem is that I have ridden the R demonstrator and love the steering and handling, but prefer the look of the standard model especially in white. Can anyone tell me how different the standard model is from the R in regard to the handling/steering? All the reviews that I can find are written by testers ecstatic about the R but none have written up the standard model. Can anyone help, please?

Cotswold
    (where the roads are perfect for riding....)

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can't you get yourself a test ride and judge for yourself? Always the best way, then you can judge by your riding style not someone else's!
    Welcome in by the way as a self confessed new Thruxton owner hater I have no sympathy with your dilemma!;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cotswold

Cotswold New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    The only demonstrator available to me at the moment is an R, hence the question.

4. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Cotswold
    Welcome in, yes I can see where you are coming from my dealership down here only has the R.
    You might have to look at it slightly different try the T 120 that has the same braking system as the standard Thruxton but is a bit heavier. Standard obvioulsy does not handle as well, but with the R for £1400 more you are getting so much more. I decided to go for the R and then pull it back for my needs ie putting dual seat passenger pegs grab rail so as to take the wife out but I still have that superb braking system.
    You could always look at an 8 ball spray job.depends on budget.

5. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Crispey, this is sounding old bitter and twisted, surely you must know someone who can buy you a new one:D.

6. Cotswold

Cotswold New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    Thanks for the suggestion Pottsy, that may well be the way I'll have to go.

7. waffoo

waffoo Member

May 19, 2016
    Gloucester, UK
    I've got the Standard. Driven both, the R is much sharper in terms of braking, didn't really have chance to check out the upper ends of Showa/Ohlins. I got it for the engine, and the more classic looks in black and put half the price difference to a full cafe racer fairing. Horses for courses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. waffoo

waffoo Member

May 19, 2016
    Gloucester, UK
    ...either way, a lovely ride!

9. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I bought an R from Plymouth Triumph too Pottsy , back to the Question ;i'm finding the front end quite bouncy and have tried softening the forks to get rid,it's like the road surface is lots of small pebbles-its not vibes cos it does it when I coast too. It could be more noticeable as you lean on the bars a bit on these. That aside ,it's ace .

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I've had therapy and I love you all now
    image.jpeg

11. Cotswold

Cotswold New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    Problem solved. Had a call yesterday from my dealer to say he had just obtained a new standard Thruxton demonstrator and would I like to ride it. So I just have, and found little difference in the suspension though the R is perhaps slightly better at soaking up the bumps; on the other hand the standard one turns in a bit quicker and there's no sign of wander on poorly surfaced corners. I'm sure the R would be better for faster riders and trackdays but for normal road speeds the standard Thruxton is fine. Brakes are definitely sharper on the R but again the standard model seemed fine on the road. Things may change with a few miles on the clock - the one I rode this morning was brand new - but I have put my money where my mouth is and bought the standard model. Ready Saturday:)

• Like Like x 3
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The biglad when he wins the lottery!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Thought he would sort you out. Now what would you choose standard or R ?

14. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Ah we need to get together, have you adjusted the rear shock, ie with the two C spanners, as because I take Nikki out all the time I want to go to setting 2 or 3 but can,t get lock nut off to adjust. Been back twice to dealership and they are still checking with ohlins or triumph as they think that the cir clip needs to come out first then undo lock nut and adjust. Cos we can,t get them undone. The spanners are not the best that were ever produced, and if you slip you will damage something.

15. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Sorry have not noticed the front end problem, i was on a Bonnie Se before and compared to that everything works so much better.

16. zad0107

zad0107 Member

Feb 23, 2016
    selby
    i have had the same quandary rode the R but not the standard. the green floats my boat though in standard version and like others I'm a real term road rider ive taken the plunge and just bought the standard used the cash to buy café racer accessories. cant wait to collect it.

17. waffoo

waffoo Member

May 19, 2016
    Gloucester, UK
    Check out this month's Bike (Sep 16) - they test them against each other.

• Like Like x 1