Thruxton 2016 Thruxton Side Stand Return Spring

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Retired Phil, Mar 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Just got the recall for my TTR. Im 50 miles from dealer since my Bike is housed not where i purchased it. Really dont want to spend half a day for a 10 min switch of springs. From what i have seen, they change to orig spring to a double wound one which is obviously stronger than the single wound one. Looking on the internet there are several non triumph return springs. So, given the same unextended length, just get any that will fit? Suggestions?

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Take the day out and go to the dealer and get the job done for free..... A great excuse for a ride out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    I'm 75 miles from Triumph Glasgow and booked in for next Tues. Can't wait for a legit trip over the Rest and Be Thankful , along Loch Lomond and back. Weather doesn't look too bad either. This will finish off the back tyre at 2600 ish miles. I could take the ferry and half the travel but where is the fun in that ?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good man. enjoy the day :) Your post has reminded me to ask my dealer if my thruxton needs the side stand sorting...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    My ‘16 TTR came with a double wound SSS. Being a little ocd, i got another one from Bike Bandit for $12 just incase. If it does break, I can just use a rubberband to get me home.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    The recall was done to USA bikes first and when the alert came out I bought a spare, same as you. Still going for the upgraded on though.
    Its not the breaking I'm concerned about. Its the sidestand lowering on the move and cutting the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    Spring changed. Many thanks to Triumph Glasgow, I got time wrong and arrived 2 hrs early. They took me right away, no waiting and I was back on the road within half an hour. Great service and all in all a great day out.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Mine is in for next Tuesday

• Like Like x 2
  9. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    Hope you have a good run on the bike.