Thruxton 2016 Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Jared Carpenter, May 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jared Carpenter

Jared Carpenter New Member

May 18, 2020
    Utah
    Hi Fam,

I am looking into purchasing a used 2016 Thruxton R for $9,000. Has a bunch of mods - seller says it has been meticulously maintained with regular oil changes and softawr updates. Only thing is it has approx 14k miles...

Could you all kindly give me some guidance/feedback on the mileage and if this is worth pursuing due to the mileage factor?

Thank you kindly.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, Jared.
    Working on the basis that the bike is, near enough, four years old then the annual mileage over that time is approx 3,500. That is not extreme in any way so it seems reasonable to me, especially if it has been well looked after with a decent service history. You will know better than I do whether or not the price is about right (around £7,500 sterling give or take a few pounds/dollars).
    If it helps, my '95 Trident 900 has 54,500 miles on the clock and goes like shit of a chrome plated shovel (a technical term for, 'it runs very nicely, thank you'). Doesn't use any oil, either. My annual mileage is a bit on the low side due to it sharing its duties with an '02 Daytona 955i Centennial for about 12 years and my subsequent ill health and the onset of old age.
    All in all, I'd be inclined to go for it!:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Hi Jared I bought a 20171200S in December With 17K on the clock and absolutely no issue with that type of mileage but it did have full dealer service history
    If the ‘meticulous maintenance’ is just oil changes you may want to factor a full dealer service into the price

Whatever you decide though it’s a great bike:)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jared Carpenter

May 18, 2020
    Utah
    • Like Like x 2
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Above all makes sense, not a high mileage bike and if there’s a meticulous record I’d services and parts used then that’s a good sign.
    If you go for it and as said has a bunch of mods, see If he’s got the originals and include them in the sale.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    For $9000 I'd buy it, milage is irrelevant as long as its been well maintained, condition is more important to me as a well looked after bike says alot about it's owner.
    You'll probably end up changing the fluids yourself if you get it anyway, I know I would.
    If you go to see make sure you check over it properly or take someone with you, two sets of eyes are better than one. :)
    Good luck and if you get it make sure you put some pictures on here :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jared Carpenter

May 18, 2020
    Utah
    @OldNick ballpark what would a full dealer service cost?

8. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Hi Jared it’s hard to say, but a 20k mile service on a 4 year old bike over here would be around the £500 mark but over the pond your prices may be totally different!!
    Probably worth calling a local dealer for an indicative quote

Good luck and keep us posted with what you do and pictures:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jared Carpenter

May 18, 2020
    Utah
    @OldNick Will do, thank you kindly!

• Like Like x 2
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Make sure it's had the 12000 mile service which is a major one, over here can cost upwards of £800 at the dealers, assuming the R has the usual service schedules. Check if any recall work was needed and done, I beleive the early ones had a few teething problems. chain and sprockets and tyres for wear. It sounds a lot but you can't be too cautious

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jared Carpenter

May 18, 2020
    Utah
    @crispey super helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    The 1200’s have a 10,000 Mile service interval rather than 6,000 of the 900 models and the horrific 12k service.cost has gone - the new Thruxtons are a lot easier on service costs:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1